Skip to main content

Theatrical Thursday's-R&H Goes Pop -Album Review

 


Hi! I've been thinking of a way to add more theatre posts to my blog. Once a month I will review an album from a Broadway artist, or a movie musical or tv show with a soundtrack others might like. I will include links to the Spotify album and a YouTube Channel to watch videos if available. This week, we're starting with R&H Goes Pop. 

1- Oh What A Beautiful Morin’- Jeremy Jordan

Those familiar with the original song will enjoy this cover. I’m a fan of Jeremy Jordan’s voice, and I feel his style captures the modern take on the song perfectly. One of my favorite parts is the guitar riff in the middle of the song.

2- Shall We Dance/ A Wonderful Guy–Ariana DeBose

This cover is wildly different from anything I’ve heard with these two songs before. I love the choices made, and I think it’s so much fun. For fans of the original songs, it might take some getting used to, and you need to go into this cover knowing it’s very different. How different and unique it makes it one of my favorite tracks on this album. This was the first song I heard, and it really set the bar for the rest of the album for me.

 

3- Some Enchanted Evening- Andy Mientus

This is one of the covers on the album that pays homage to the original.   I love the folk vibes of this song. I believe Andy Mientus’s voice suits the song perfectly.

 

4- It Feels Good- Lilli Cooper

From the opening of this song, I just found it fun. I don’t know the original song, so I can’t on if the track pays homage to the original or not. This cover is one of the most fun tracks on the album, I would say. Lilli is another artist with powerful vocals that work well for this number. I just adore this fun pop cover.

5- Something Wonderful- Gavin Creel

An album that’s going to work well needs a mix of up-tempos and ballads. I love that this is one of the ballads because it keeps the essence of the original song. I believe Gavin’s voice is perfect for the song.   

6- Lonely Room- Rebecca Naomi Jones

 

This cover doesn’t differ as much as Shall We Dance/ Wonderful Guy, but I love the unique take. Rebecca Naomi Jones has the powerful and raw vocals needed to make this song work. The track is another one of my favorites on the album because a person of a different gender from the original character sings it.

7- This Nearly Was Mine- Ryan McCartan

This cover is fine, and it pays homage to the original.

8- The Next Ten Minutes Ago- Laura Osnes and Jeremy Jordan

I’ve heard this song before it was on the album because it’s been around for a while. The mashup is delightful, and I think the fact that Laura and Jeremy are close friends comes through in the track. This performance brings new life to the music, and I believe it’s a refreshing take on a classic and more modern song.

9- The Surrey with the Fringe on Top- Ali Stroker

For those that read my book posts, yes, this is one of the authors of The Chance to Fly. Her cover on this album is like the original. The vibes on this track are more country, and I love that. This is another case of the song being sung by someone of a different gender from the original character singing. I love how this album did this because we get different voices and seeing the choices they make.

 

10- Younger Than Springtime- Derek Klena

I was so interested in this track because it starts off as more of a ballad. As the chorus starts, we hear a jazzy up-tempo. Derek Klena’s voice is perfect for this song and it’s one of my favorite tracks on this album. In terms of the original, I think it fits well as a new take while still paying homage to the original.

11- Something Good- Katrina Lenk

 

What I love most about this is how this song is still a ballad, but it has a totally different vibe from the original song. I believe that was the intent of this album as a whole. I adore the indie music and jazzy vibes of this track. Katrina’s voice with mixed the jazzy and indie vibes of the music makes this one of my favorite tracks on the album.

 

12-We Kiss In a Shadow- Jelani Aladdin and Matt Doyle

I don’t even know where to start with this track. First, two men sing it where the original has a man and a woman. This was what first drew me to loving this track. If you’ve read my media posts, you know I mod for Matt on his Twitch Streams. I’ve never met him, but I’ve interacted with him a bit in that medium. The jazz style and guitar make this a modern take and I just love it. This is another favorite on the album.

13- Do I Love You Because Your Beautiful- Santino Fontana

If you’re looking for a track that a lot of homage to the original, this one you want to listen to. Santino’s vocals work well for this song. I love the modern touches with the added guitar and piano.

14- Do-Re-Mi- Ashley Park

I’m going to preface this by saying that if you’re a modern take on original paying homage to the original, you will not find that here. When I first heard this, I didn’t know what the style was; I enjoyed it, but I still had questions. The day after the album dropped, there was a listening party where we got behind-the-scenes interviews with the artists. Here I learned that this cover was supposed to be in the K-Pop style and since then, I have absolutely heard that every time I listen to the track. I love this cover and it’s one of my favorites because of how different it is.

 

15- The Sweetest Sounds- Kyle Selig  

I have heard this song from R&H Cinderella; I believe. I love this cover because fans of the original and new fans just discovering this music will be able to enjoy it. Kyle has a lovely voice that works perfectly for the style of song they were going for. 


Links

YouTube with Music videos and a playlist of all the songs.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top Ten Tuesday- characters that remind me of myself

Welcome back to Top Ten Tuesday! This is a weekly meme where readers discuss ten or whatever number you would like to have based on a prompt. Our host is Jana at  thatartsyreadergirl . Our topic this week is Characters Like Myself. I am going to take a two words that each character has in in my opinion,  and discuss how that relates to me  as well. 1- Cather Avery from Fangirl Writer- At her core, Cath is a writer, and she loves her stories. I am a writer of both Fan Fiction and original stories like Cath so this was an automatic in for this. Both of us love our work and we tend to through ourselves whole hardheartedly into our work. Sisters- I might have mentioned this on the blog before but I have a younger sister and we’re only roughly 18 months a part. Cath and her twin sister Wren are polar  opposites and this is me and my sister. My younger sister is an extrovert and into science. I on the other hand,  am an introverted creative bookworm.  2- Miriam Kendrick from C

Top Ten Tuesday- Favorite Books of the Year Part 1 (12-21)

    Hi! Jana hosts Top Ten Tuesday @ thatartsyreadergirl . The purpose of this meme was to bring the book blogging community together and foster our love of lists. Each week, Jana posts a topic, and we readers respond based on that prompt. This week our topic is a freebie, so I decided to make my list of my top ten reads part one.   Middle Grade 12- Never After by Melissa de la Cruz I'm almost done with this book. It's a duology, and I loved the new twist on fairy tales.    YA 13- Don’t Read the Comments by Eric Smith I read this early in the year and it stuck with me. This YA Contemporary about gaming and the culture of the gaming industry was fantastic.  14- The Book Thief by Markus Zusak It took me years to read this book but I really enjoyed it. I love the unique narrator, the characters, and the story.  15- The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas This is another backlist release. I loved this book, and I knew when I read it that it had the potential to be on this list. I still thi

2019 Book Resolutions Tag!

Hey everyone! So Thursdays on the blog I am going to post a new tag. I think tags are so much fun, and I enjoy the time to reflect on what I’ve read in the past, or what I want to read. Images come from Goodreads. I grabbed the questions from  this blog 1. An author you’d like to read (that you’ve never read before). Leigh Bardugo! I have heard such great things about the Grisha verse, so I want to see if it lives up to all the hype. I have a feeling it will, and I am intrigued by the world. I got the first three books in the series as one large Ebook , so I ’m going to start that next month. I can’t wait to go on the journey and be immersed in a new series!  2. A book you’d like to read. Romanov by Nadine Brandes I love Anastasia and the Romanov family. This looks like such a fantastic retelling. I am drawn in just reading the blurb on Goodreads.  3. A classic you’d like to read. A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett. I’ve had the Barnes and Nobel edition of