Skip to main content

Musical Monday's - Bandstand

Hey Everyone, Steph here and I am going to continue my Musical Monday's post, today’s musical is Bandstand. As usual, all information comes from Wikipedia.  Bandstand has a music composed by Richard Oberacker with book and lyrics by Oberacker and Robert Taylor. Our story follows Donny Novitski, a soldier who is returning home from World War 2, and he is struggling to fit into his life, as many other soldiers feel when they return home. Donny finds out about a contest for the radio, and he forms a band to compete in New York City. The prize will be fame for the winners, and by performing as a band together they must all deal with their own personal struggles and personal problems that each member has. Donny sees the key to their success, and a contest win is a band that is composed of veterans who have fought in the war.   However, the complicated relationships, the demands of competition, and the after-effects of war may just tear this band apart.

Personal thoughts
I feel that this musical was cut way too short. I feel like it deserved a longer life, as it has a message and really talks about what it was like when soldiers came home. In addition, I feel that the music is so good and something that has not had been heard on Broadway in a while, and it really suites the musical well I feel like. This is a musical that is great all around, and I adore and I feel that more people should know more about this musical. It got slipped under a lot of peoples radars, but it was one f my favorite musicals of the 2017 season! Also, the band actually played their instruments which I love.  

Characters
 Donny Novitski (piano and singer/songwriter- played by Corey Cott)- I loved Donny and I feel that he is such a good guy. I love the journey that his character takes in the show.
Julia Trojan, the young widow of the man who had been his best friend in the war, (singer played Laura Osnes)- I loved Julia so much!!!!! I love her character and I feel so bad for her, I just want to befriend her and let her know that it’s going to be okay. Julia is my favorite character in the musical, and she goes on a real journey in this musical I would say.
Jimmy Campbell (saxophone/clarinet) played by James Nathan Hopkins.
Davy Zlatic (bass) played by Brandon J. Ellis.
Nick Radel (trumpet) played by Alex Bender
Wayne Wright (trombone) played Geoff Packard
Johnny Simpson (drums) played by Joe Carroll
Mrs. June Adams (Julia’s mother) played by Beth Leavel. She cares so much for Julia and her happiness and I just love that about her.
So Broadway 2017
Act I
"Just Like It Was Before" – Company
"Donny Novitski" – Donny
"I Know A Guy" – Jimmy, Davy, Nick, Wayne, Donny, and Company
"Ain't We Proud" – Donny and The Band
"Proud Riff" - Orchestra
"Who I Was" – Julia
"Counterpoint/Pie Jesu" - Julia and The Band
"Just Like It Was Before (Reprise)" – Mrs. Adams
"First Steps First" – Julia, Donny, and The Band
"Breathe" – Donny, Nick, Wayne, Davy, Jimmy, Johnny and Julia
"You Deserve It" – Donny, Julia and The Band
"Dwight Anson & Jean Ann" - Jean Ann and Orchestra
"Love Will Come and Find Me Again" – Julia and The Band
"Right This Way" – Donny, Nick, Wayne, Davy, Jimmy, Johnny and Julia
Act 2
Entr'acte – Orchestra †
"Nobody" – Donny, Wayne, Nick, Davy, Julia, Mrs. Adams, Johnny, Jimmy and Company
"The Boys Are Back" - Company
"I Got a Theory" – Julia, Donny, Wayne, Nick, Davy, Johnny, Jimmy, and Company
"Everything Happens" – Mrs. Adams
"Welcome Home" – Donny, Julia, and The Band
"A Band in New York City" – Johnny, Davy, Jimmy, Nick, Wayne, Julia, Donny and Company
"This is Life" – Donny and Julia
"This is Life (Reprise)" - Donny
"Welcome Home (Finale)" – Julia and The Band
"Epilogue" – Donny, Julia, The Band and Company
† Not featured on Original Broadway Cast Recording

Awards All in 2017
Tony Awards      Best Choreography         Andy Blankenbuehler    Won
Best Orchestrations        Bill Elliott & Greg Anthony Rassen             Nominated
Drama Desk Awards       Outstanding Actress in a Musical               Laura Osnes       Nominated
Outstanding Music          Richard Oberacker           Nominated
Outstanding Book of a Musical   Nominated
Outstanding Orchestrations        Bill Elliott & Greg Anthony Rassen             Won
Outstanding Choreography         Andy Blankenbuehler    Won
Outstanding Costume Design in a Musical             Paloma Young   Nominated
Outstanding Lighting Design in a Musical               Jeff Croiter         Nominated
Drama League Award     Outstanding Production of a Broadway or Off-Broadway Musical              Nominated
Distinguished Performance         Laura Osnes       Nominated
Outer Critics Circle Award             Outstanding Choreography         Andy Blankenbuehler    Nominated
Outstanding Sound Design          Nevin Steinberg               Nominated
Outstanding Orchestrations        Bill Elliott & Greg Anthony Rassen             Nominated
Chita Rivera Awards[17]                Outstanding Choreography in a Broadway Show               Andy Blankenbuehler    Won
Outstanding Ensemble in a Broadway Show        Nominated
Outstanding Male Dancer in a Broadway Show   Max Clayton       Nominated
Outstanding Male Dancer in a Broadway Show   Ryan Kasprzak   Nominated
Outstanding Female Dancer in a Broadway Show              Andrea Dotto    Nominated
Outstanding Female Dancer in a Broadway Show              Jaime Verazin    Nominated
Productions
A workshop of Bandstand was held in September 2014 in New York City.
The show now called The Bandstand began previews at the Papermill Playhouse on October 8th, 2015, and opened on October 18th, 2015, for a limited run, closing on November 8th, 2015.
The Broadway production, once again called Bandstand, started previews on March 31st, 2017 and opened on April 26th, 2017. The production closed on September 17th, 2017.  
The Broadway production was filmed and was in theaters June 25th and 28th 2018.
The cast recording is on iTunes, a few on Spotify, and on Youtube.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top Ten Tuesday- characters that remind me of myself

Welcome back to Top Ten Tuesday! This is a weekly meme where readers discuss ten or whatever number you would like to have based on a prompt. Our host is Jana at  thatartsyreadergirl . Our topic this week is Characters Like Myself. I am going to take a two words that each character has in in my opinion,  and discuss how that relates to me  as well. 1- Cather Avery from Fangirl Writer- At her core, Cath is a writer, and she loves her stories. I am a writer of both Fan Fiction and original stories like Cath so this was an automatic in for this. Both of us love our work and we tend to through ourselves whole hardheartedly into our work. Sisters- I might have mentioned this on the blog before but I have a younger sister and we’re only roughly 18 months a part. Cath and her twin sister Wren are polar  opposites and this is me and my sister. My younger sister is an extrovert and into science. I on the other hand,  am an introverted creative bookworm.  2- Miriam Kendrick from C

Top Ten Tuesday- Favorite Books of the Year Part 1 (12-21)

    Hi! Jana hosts Top Ten Tuesday @ thatartsyreadergirl . The purpose of this meme was to bring the book blogging community together and foster our love of lists. Each week, Jana posts a topic, and we readers respond based on that prompt. This week our topic is a freebie, so I decided to make my list of my top ten reads part one.   Middle Grade 12- Never After by Melissa de la Cruz I'm almost done with this book. It's a duology, and I loved the new twist on fairy tales.    YA 13- Don’t Read the Comments by Eric Smith I read this early in the year and it stuck with me. This YA Contemporary about gaming and the culture of the gaming industry was fantastic.  14- The Book Thief by Markus Zusak It took me years to read this book but I really enjoyed it. I love the unique narrator, the characters, and the story.  15- The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas This is another backlist release. I loved this book, and I knew when I read it that it had the potential to be on this list. I still thi

Top Ten Tuesday- Books that make me smile

Hi! Jana hosts Top Ten Tuesday @ thatartsyreadergirl . This weekly meme was born out a love of lists, and bringing the book blogging community together. Each week, Jana will post a topic, and we readers will write a reply based on that. We also have the option of going off the chosen topic, and doing our own thing. This week our topic is Books Guaranteed to Put a Smile On Your Face. I put my own spin on this just for fun.   1- Simon vs the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albetalli 2- Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell 3- With the Fire on High by Elizabeth Acevedo 4- Little Women by Louisa May Alcott 5- Comics Will Break Your Heart by Faith Erin Hicks 6- Geekerella by Ashley Poston 7- 10 Blind Dates by Ashley Elston 8- One Last Stop by Casey McQuiston 9- Fearless (Fearless Series Book #1 ) by Mandy Gonzalez 10- The Chance to Fly by Ali Stoker and Stacy Davidowitz