Skip to main content

Top Ten Tuesday - Top Ten Historical




Welcome back to Top Ten Tuesday! Our Host is Jana @thatartsyreadergirl. Every week, readers gather and respond to the topic of the week. This week, we are talking about Top Ten Books in our favorite genre. I love The Classics, YA of all kinds minus Horror and Mystery, and Historical. I choose Historical as I talk about Classics and YA a lot on this blog. These are in no order, just as they came to me.

1- Romanov  by Nadine Brandes

I read this Anastasia retelling in nineteen days when it came out. I loved this book so much! About half the novel was the Romanov’s in exile, and their life in a house where they couldn’t do that much. As the story progresses, we see that Nastya is a spell master, so this is how Fantasy is sprinkled in with the Historical Fiction to tell a new story. I loved all aspects of this novel, even the ones that were sad, and almost caused me to throw this book across the room. I will review this book later on this month. I recommend this for anyone who loves the Romanov’s, or a good Historical Fiction.

2- After Anatevka by Alexandra Silber

I have discussed this book on the blog before, however; this list would not be complete without one of my favorite Historical Fiction’s. The story takes place after Fiddler on the Roof; it is a sequel featuring one of my favorite characters. Hodel and Perchik spend  a good portion of the novel apart, told in duel perspectives we find out where Hodel and Perchick are from when last we saw them. Once the two meet again, the story gets more engaging with new characters and a new story. I would like to reread this book and do a more formal review with my new system. I recommend this book for anyone who wants a lesser known Historical Fiction, but still a great story for the reader. 

3- The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows

This is a World War 2 novel told in letters about the war and the aftermath for the island of Guernsey. This was such a sweet novel, and I loved the world and the characters. The story follows Juliet, a writer who is looking for a story, and the community that grew to love her.  I don’t want to give the plot away, but this story ends with a sweet romance.

4- The Romanov Sisters by Helen Rappaport

This is a Non Fiction I read last year. I loved it because it gave me a history of The Romanov’s and I learned so much about their lives. The book is thoroughly researched with annotations as you read the story. I recommend this for anyone who would like a Non Fiction about the Romanov’s. 

5- The Gentleman’s Guide to Vice and Virtue (Montague Siblings # 1) by Mackenzi Lee

I love Monty, Percy, and Felicity so much! This story that follows the three characters on a journey, as they go on a tour before Monty will have to take his place in his family. Shenanigans ensue and while they are away and they must fix things before they need the tour. I recommend this for anyone that wants a fun Historical Fiction with some representation as Monty and Percy are a couple, and Felicity is Ace. 

6- The Lady’s Guide to Petticoats and Piracy (Montague Siblings # 2) by Mackenzi Lee

This is the sequel to the book above. I adore Felicity as a character. This novel has some mixed reviews, but I enjoyed it. I thought the story took some odd twists, but I thought it worked well for the story that was being told.  The plot involves Pirates and an old friend of Felicity. This book was an adventure, and I was so here for it. 

7- Enchantee by Gita Trelease

I read this book earlier this year. The plot follows Camille, a young woman in France who has lost her parents, and must look after her sister. Her brother is a gambler who is spending the money that Camille and her sister Sophie need. This Historical Fiction has a magical twist because Camille transforms and into someone else so she can visit Versailles. The story was great and there is a cute romance.  The pacing of the story was a bit odd at places, but this didn’t take away from  my enjoyment of the story. 

8- The Prince and the Dressmaker by Jen Wang

This a sweet Graphic Novel I read a few weeks ago. The story follows Sebastian and Frances, two characters that were so easy to love and get to know.  The story sets in France and I love stories set in France. The story is fantastic, and the art is so cute. I recommend this for anyone who wants a different take on Historical Fiction.

9- Hamilton and Peggy-A Revolutionary Friendship by  L. M. Elliott

I read this novel last year. I enjoyed as a fan of Hamilton and Peggy. The story follows Peggy as the lead, and this was very refreshing as the other series I enjoyed had enjoyed Eliza was the main lead. The story follows Peggy and how she helps with the war efforts, and her siblings relationships. I recommend this for any fan of Hamilton who would enjoy a new take with the characters.

10- All For One (Alex & Eliza # 3) by Melissa de la Cruz

This is the final book in the Alex and Eliza trilogy! I read it back in April and early May and I really enjoyed it.  We get introduced to new characters, and these new characters are the comic relief you need when the drama.  This book also brought us the Maria Reynolds affair, and I really liked the hearing about what happened with her and Alex. The rest of the characters are there, but it is mainly about the new characters, and the Maria affair. I recommend this trilogy for any Hamilton fans.

Did you do TTT this week? Link it below and I’ll check it out.

Comments

  1. Great list! I’ve read Guernsey and my fav quote is from that book: “Reading good books ruins you for enjoying bad ones.” 😍👍
    https://readingladies.com/2019/06/03/top-ten-tuesday-favorite-books-in-my-favorite-genre-historical-fiction/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard so many good things about Enchantee.

    My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to hear you liked Romanov! Sadly, it wasn't really for me, but I enjoyed Nadine Brandes' "Fawkes," if you haven't read that yet. :) It's similar to Romanov, except about the Gunpowder Plot instead. I so need to read the Montague Siblings books! Seems like every time I'm about to, something else comes up and interrupts, but they sound like such good books.

    Here's my TTT post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand your feelings about Romanov. I have not read Fawkes yet but it's on my TBR.

      Delete
  4. Wonderful list!!

    Here's a link to my TTT post for this week:
    http://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2019/06/top-ten-tuesday-books-from-my-favorite.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great list. I love the The Gentleman's Guide and The Lady's Guide too. Such fun reads!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Guernsey Literary is one I've heard really good things about, and now I see Netflix has adapted it. I'm tempted to read it and then give the show a try.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, such a great list full of books that I'm desperate to read (Romanov, Enchantee, The Prince and the Dressmaker) and also ones I loved too. It was so hard to choose just one favorite genre ��

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the Gentleman's and Lady's Guide books too! They are so fun. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society was unexpectedly good as well, though I think I prefer the movie adaptation more because it's so stunning to watch.

    Awesome list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't read The Gentleman’s Guide to Vice and Virtue, but I've heard so many good things. I really want to give that series a go someday. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Romanov sounds wonderful! I meant to pick it up back when it came out. Great list!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

2019 Book Resolutions Tag!

Hey everyone! So Thursdays on the blog I am going to post a new tag. I think tags are so much fun, and I enjoy the time to reflect on what I’ve read in the past, or what I want to read. Images come from Goodreads. I grabbed the questions from  this blog 1. An author you’d like to read (that you’ve never read before). Leigh Bardugo! I have heard such great things about the Grisha verse, so I want to see if it lives up to all the hype. I have a feeling it will, and I am intrigued by the world. I got the first three books in the series as one large Ebook , so I ’m going to start that next month. I can’t wait to go on the journey and be immersed in a new series!  2. A book you’d like to read. Romanov by Nadine Brandes I love Anastasia and the Romanov family. This looks like such a fantastic retelling. I am drawn in just reading the blurb on Goodreads.  3. A classic you’d like to read. A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett. I’ve had the Barnes and Nobel edition of

January TBR!

Hey everyone, Steph here and Today I 'm going to post what I am going to start and maybe finish this month. I have four books on my TBR! The Cruel Prince by Holly Black Format: US Paperback Published: J anuary 2nd, 2018   Why I want to read: there was so much surrounding this book. I want to live if it lives up to the expectations, I am so excited to dive in. I love Fae so I feel this book is right up my alley. If I love this book, I will get the sequel as an Ebook. All I Know Now: Wonderings and Reflections on Growing Up Gracefully by Carrie Hope Fletcher  Format: US Paperback  Published: September 1st, 2015  Why I want to read it: so, I will be continuing this book. As an actress, I love supporting fellow stage actors when they write books. I love this book so far! What If It's Us by  Adam Silvera,  Becky Albertalli   Format: US Hardcover Published:  October 9th, 2018 Why I want to read it: I love Becky Albertalli! I'

Top Ten Tuesday- Favorite Books of the Year Part 1 (12-21)

    Hi! Jana hosts Top Ten Tuesday @ thatartsyreadergirl . The purpose of this meme was to bring the book blogging community together and foster our love of lists. Each week, Jana posts a topic, and we readers respond based on that prompt. This week our topic is a freebie, so I decided to make my list of my top ten reads part one.   Middle Grade 12- Never After by Melissa de la Cruz I'm almost done with this book. It's a duology, and I loved the new twist on fairy tales.    YA 13- Don’t Read the Comments by Eric Smith I read this early in the year and it stuck with me. This YA Contemporary about gaming and the culture of the gaming industry was fantastic.  14- The Book Thief by Markus Zusak It took me years to read this book but I really enjoyed it. I love the unique narrator, the characters, and the story.  15- The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas This is another backlist release. I loved this book, and I knew when I read it that it had the potential to be on this list. I still thi