Skip to main content

Top Ten Tuesday- Character types and personalities I love

Welcome Back! I know I’ve been saying that I will be back and blogging more. Life happened last week, I had an appointment last week, and I just got lazy after that. I’m planning to be back more this week and get posting again this week. Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by Jana at http://www.thatartsyreadergirl.com/. This was born out of a love of lists and bringing the bookish community together. October 8: Character Traits I Love/Personality Traits I Love to See In Book Characters/Things That Make Me Love a Character/etc. (submitted by Hannah @ Books Life and Other Oddities) I took this as things I love in a bookish character, and yes, I used a character trait list for the last three, I just want to be honest.

Things that make me love a character and personality traits I love in characters

1- Musical/ Theatrical

If you all know me, you know that my other big passion in life is music and theater. If a character loves music or theater, you know that I will love them. What draws me to this character type is the fact that it’s my other passion, and I love seeing other people do what I love. An example of this character is Christine Daae, from The Phantom of the Opera, I’ve seen the movie and the musical, I have a copy of of some horror or Gothic books, this is in there so I just need to get around to reading it. Another theater related book is Foolish Hearts by Emma Mills, I love Claudia and the rest of the crew. Does anyone have any recs for books featuring musicians or theater performers?

2- Kindness

This is a character trait that I just adore so much. I think it’s because I love characters like me. I value kindness both in people and in characters. Kindness in a character to me means the character is kindness towards family and friends. A kind character to me is Imogen from The Princess and the Fangirl and Elle from Geekerella both by Ashley Poston are kind.

3- Bookworm

We all love a fantastic bookworm right? My connection to the bookworm is someone that shares a passion for books and nerding out about books. Talking about books is one of my passions and I love characters talking about books. The bookworm is a trope used in a lot of YA. Some of my favorite are Cath from Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell; you know you were all expecting this one right, and my favorite Disney princess Belle from Beauty and the Beast.

4- History

I love history and nerding out about history with other people. If I ever go back to school, I would love to study something in history or related to history. This is more of a hobby for a character like music or theater. I don’t have any history related characters, please recommend me some if you know any? Some non-fiction history I love is The Romanov Sisters by Helen Rappaport. I have not read the rest of the books in this series but it’s on my list.

5- Bold

I love a good bold character who is not scared to have an opinion and voice it. Some people call this as a badass, and yes, I see this but I prefer the term bold, because it’s more general. I love a lady voicing an opinion and not having any fear for it. The perfect example of this is Feyre from A Court of Thorns and Roses series by Sarah J. Maas, and Ana from the Heart of Iron duology by Ashley Poston.

6- Introverts

Being an introvert I lean towards a love of the introverted characters. I don’t want to call them nerds, because that’s a specific type, but yeah I love some introverts. These are the types of characters that prefer their alone time, but are still social. An introvert I love is Miriam from Comics Will Break Your Heart by Faith Erin Hicks.

7- Loyalty

I’m a loyal person so I value characters that are loyal to those they love. I feel this is self explanatory, but this I mean a character who is loyal to their friends and family no matter what. Characters that some to mind right away are Sonya from War & Peace by Leo Tolstoy, and Annabeth from the Percy Jackson Series by Rick Riordan.

8- Optimism

Optimism in a character is something I love because I love seeing a character happy. No matter what happens in their life, an optimistic character can always bounce back. A character that can be happy or joyous no matter what. One that came to mind for this was Anastasia “Nastya” from Romanov by Nadine Brandes. Another is Lucille from Hello Girls.

9- Confidence

I love a character that has a confidence that isn’t arrogant or cocky. This character is is like the ones who are bold for me. My character for this prompt is Felicity from The Montague Siblings.

10- Patience

This goes hand in with loyalty, and optimism for me. I love these types of characters because I’m this type of person as well. These are the types of characters who are calm in situations. 

Comments

  1. I love nerding out about history, too! What era(s) do you like the most?

    My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love books that deal with music and theater as well. In fact I need to find more with those plot elements or backgrounds. History as well. I loved the Lady Emily books by Tasha Alexander in part because of the MC's initial interest in antiquities.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent list! I completely agree and enjoy characters with these traits too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you have musical/theatrical on your list. I love characters who are artistic too. I think I kind of live vicariously through them since I don't have any artistic ability myself.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Top Ten Tuesday- characters that remind me of myself

Welcome back to Top Ten Tuesday! This is a weekly meme where readers discuss ten or whatever number you would like to have based on a prompt. Our host is Jana at  thatartsyreadergirl . Our topic this week is Characters Like Myself. I am going to take a two words that each character has in in my opinion,  and discuss how that relates to me  as well. 1- Cather Avery from Fangirl Writer- At her core, Cath is a writer, and she loves her stories. I am a writer of both Fan Fiction and original stories like Cath so this was an automatic in for this. Both of us love our work and we tend to through ourselves whole hardheartedly into our work. Sisters- I might have mentioned this on the blog before but I have a younger sister and we’re only roughly 18 months a part. Cath and her twin sister Wren are polar  opposites and this is me and my sister. My younger sister is an extrovert and into science. I on the other hand,  am an introverted creative bookworm.  2- Miriam Kendrick from C

Top Ten Tuesday- Favorite Books of the Year Part 1 (12-21)

    Hi! Jana hosts Top Ten Tuesday @ thatartsyreadergirl . The purpose of this meme was to bring the book blogging community together and foster our love of lists. Each week, Jana posts a topic, and we readers respond based on that prompt. This week our topic is a freebie, so I decided to make my list of my top ten reads part one.   Middle Grade 12- Never After by Melissa de la Cruz I'm almost done with this book. It's a duology, and I loved the new twist on fairy tales.    YA 13- Don’t Read the Comments by Eric Smith I read this early in the year and it stuck with me. This YA Contemporary about gaming and the culture of the gaming industry was fantastic.  14- The Book Thief by Markus Zusak It took me years to read this book but I really enjoyed it. I love the unique narrator, the characters, and the story.  15- The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas This is another backlist release. I loved this book, and I knew when I read it that it had the potential to be on this list. I still thi

2019 Book Resolutions Tag!

Hey everyone! So Thursdays on the blog I am going to post a new tag. I think tags are so much fun, and I enjoy the time to reflect on what I’ve read in the past, or what I want to read. Images come from Goodreads. I grabbed the questions from  this blog 1. An author you’d like to read (that you’ve never read before). Leigh Bardugo! I have heard such great things about the Grisha verse, so I want to see if it lives up to all the hype. I have a feeling it will, and I am intrigued by the world. I got the first three books in the series as one large Ebook , so I ’m going to start that next month. I can’t wait to go on the journey and be immersed in a new series!  2. A book you’d like to read. Romanov by Nadine Brandes I love Anastasia and the Romanov family. This looks like such a fantastic retelling. I am drawn in just reading the blurb on Goodreads.  3. A classic you’d like to read. A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett. I’ve had the Barnes and Nobel edition of