Skip to main content

Miss Peregrine’s Home For Peculiar Children book vs film. ‘

I am one that usually likes to read at least most of the books before going to see a  book to film adaptation, or a movie based on a book as usually I believe that in almost all cases the books are better than the films. There are some book to film adaptations that in my opinion miss the mark completely, for example the first Twilight film but I thought that they got better as the years went on.  Miss Peregrine’s Home For Peculiar Children was one of those films that missed the mark on a few things, and I would like to start off by saying  what I feel like It missed the mark on, and then I will move onto what I feel was great about the adaptation.  The first thing that I felt it missed the mark on was the voice, yes I know that the characters were not the ages that they are in the book, but I don’t feel like you can blame anyone because    actors auditioned, and they had to go with the people that came in for the roles.  I don’t feel like the film fully mastered the voice that Ransom Riggs has in the writing of the story, and the voice that he gives the characters in the film. It would be tough to transfer on screen, and I think that Ransom Riggs’s style still came out in the film, but it was missing the uniqueness and what makes the books endearing for the reader. The second thing is the character of Miss Avocet in the film, she was in the film for about a sixty seconds and the film didn’t get into her character, and her relationship with Miss Peregrine I felt like she should have had more screen time like she was more featured in the book. The last thing that I feel didn’t hit the mark was the fact that  they in a way added a half hour to the film,  the whole scene with the amusement park loop I was very confused by, as I didn’t remember that from my first read of the book.
I would like to start off this section by saying that I have read the book, I read it for a book club in about two and a half weeks, and I am currently doing a reread of the book because I want to read the whole series now. The great things about the movie I felt were the characters, these characters to me were just as fleshed out as they were in the novel, and I feel that in some films the  characters can be not as developed as they were in the novels where they come from.  I think that these are very unique not everyday characters, and the uniqueness was translated very well on screen I as the viewer was taken into the world of these characters fully.    A second thing that I really liked about the film was the overall aesthetic of the film, I thought that it beautifully captured the aesthetic that the novel draws out for you as well as adding their own twist of what they saw the aesthetic was.   Going hand in hand with both of these things I felt like the storytelling of the film mostly captured what is  in the novel, the original voice might not have fully been there, but the general storytelling and the general story lines were all captured  beautifully on film.
O��3L=�

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top Ten Tuesday- characters that remind me of myself

Welcome back to Top Ten Tuesday! This is a weekly meme where readers discuss ten or whatever number you would like to have based on a prompt. Our host is Jana at  thatartsyreadergirl . Our topic this week is Characters Like Myself. I am going to take a two words that each character has in in my opinion,  and discuss how that relates to me  as well. 1- Cather Avery from Fangirl Writer- At her core, Cath is a writer, and she loves her stories. I am a writer of both Fan Fiction and original stories like Cath so this was an automatic in for this. Both of us love our work and we tend to through ourselves whole hardheartedly into our work. Sisters- I might have mentioned this on the blog before but I have a younger sister and we’re only roughly 18 months a part. Cath and her twin sister Wren are polar  opposites and this is me and my sister. My younger sister is an extrovert and into science. I on the other hand,  am an introverted creative bookworm.  2- Miriam Kendrick from C

Top Ten Tuesday- Favorite Books of the Year Part 1 (12-21)

    Hi! Jana hosts Top Ten Tuesday @ thatartsyreadergirl . The purpose of this meme was to bring the book blogging community together and foster our love of lists. Each week, Jana posts a topic, and we readers respond based on that prompt. This week our topic is a freebie, so I decided to make my list of my top ten reads part one.   Middle Grade 12- Never After by Melissa de la Cruz I'm almost done with this book. It's a duology, and I loved the new twist on fairy tales.    YA 13- Don’t Read the Comments by Eric Smith I read this early in the year and it stuck with me. This YA Contemporary about gaming and the culture of the gaming industry was fantastic.  14- The Book Thief by Markus Zusak It took me years to read this book but I really enjoyed it. I love the unique narrator, the characters, and the story.  15- The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas This is another backlist release. I loved this book, and I knew when I read it that it had the potential to be on this list. I still thi

Top Ten Tuesday- Books that make me smile

Hi! Jana hosts Top Ten Tuesday @ thatartsyreadergirl . This weekly meme was born out a love of lists, and bringing the book blogging community together. Each week, Jana will post a topic, and we readers will write a reply based on that. We also have the option of going off the chosen topic, and doing our own thing. This week our topic is Books Guaranteed to Put a Smile On Your Face. I put my own spin on this just for fun.   1- Simon vs the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albetalli 2- Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell 3- With the Fire on High by Elizabeth Acevedo 4- Little Women by Louisa May Alcott 5- Comics Will Break Your Heart by Faith Erin Hicks 6- Geekerella by Ashley Poston 7- 10 Blind Dates by Ashley Elston 8- One Last Stop by Casey McQuiston 9- Fearless (Fearless Series Book #1 ) by Mandy Gonzalez 10- The Chance to Fly by Ali Stoker and Stacy Davidowitz