Skip to main content

Amelie (Musical)

Hey, everyone Steph here and today I am going to talk about the musical Amelie. I am doing this as part of my underappreciated musicals series. I know it's been a while but I'm back! Let's get to it.
Productions

Amelie is a musical based on a film of the same name. The show has had three productions including the Broadway one.  The first production opened at Berkeley Rep with Samanta Barks as Amelie. The show then moved to LA where it ran from December 4th, 2016- January 15th, 2017. For this Phillipa Soo of Hamilton fame was in the title role of Amelie. The last stop of this show, for now, was Broadway: the show opened with previews beginning March 9th, 2017, and the official opening was April 3rd, 2017. The show closed on May 21st, 2017 after 27 previews and 56 performances.

Plot

We are first introduced to young Amelie and her family (Times Are Hard For Dreamers/Prologue). Amelie parents Ralphel and Amadine both have issues, and so Amelie feels isolated and emotionally distant from her parents.  Her only contact with her parents comes from when she has her monthly checkups from her father, and he misdiagnosis her with a heart condition(World's Best Dad). Her parents begin homeschooling Amelie, as they fear that she should not interact with others in her condition. One day, while her mother is teaching her Amelie, imagines that her goldfish Fluffy is coming to life(World's Best Freind). Amadine and Amelie spend the day in Notre Dame to make up for making Amelie flush her fish down the toilet. As they leave her mother is crushed, and killed by a suicidal tourist. The death hitting Ralphel hard, he builds a shrine to his late wife in his backyard, complete with a Garden Gnome.

Years pass and Amelie becomes bored with her quiet life, her distant father and so she moves out. Five years later we meet her again now a waitress at a cafe in Montmartre (Times Are Hard For Dreamers). Amelie lives a quiet, and a happy life here and she spends time with different people she has met (the Commute). On the night of Princess Diana's death, Amelie discovers a box of childhood items that belong to the man that used to live in her apartment (The Bottle Drops). Amelie anonymously gives the box back to him, and if he is touched by her gesture then she will become an anonymous do-gooder. Frist, she meets a cranky grocer who abuses his assistant. At the train station Amelie meets a man around her age Nino, she is attracted to him but the train comes before she can introduce herself.  At the grocer's mother's house, she finds out the name of the man whose box she has the last name is Bredoteau. As Amelie is on her way home Nino spots her, and becomes intrigued by her box. 

Time passes and Amelie's search for  Bredoteau isn't working out. One day she speaks to her neighbor Raymond Dufayel who suffers from a bone disease, so he is called the glass man (The Girl With The Glass). He recognizes the box and gives her the correct last name of Bretodeau. Amelie looks up Bretodeau's name in the phone book and gives him a call using a pay phone telling him where he can get the box( How To Tell Time). After he gets the box he calls his ex-wife and arranges to meet their son. Taking this a cue Amelie becomes a do-gooder taking a blind man on a tour of the streets (Tour De France.) 

Later that night Amelie has a strange dream where she has a lavish funeral where she is serenaded by Elton John (Goodbye Amelie). Amelie realizes that she has not helped her father and visits him the next day, and tries to convince him to move (Backyard). He refuses saying that he can't leave the gnome alone, so she takes him in secret. Nino drops a photo album when she spots him on her way home, and so she takes it.  She looks at it Raymond Dufayel, and Nino appears and explains the photos to the audience (When The Booth Goes Bright). Amelie watches and Dufayel sees that the two of them are attracted to each other.

Amelie seeks out of his place of work a sex shop dressed as a nun. While she waits for Nino, the other employees mock him, and Amelie runs away (Sister Pickel).  He chases her but she escapes and reflects on her childhood (Halfway). Amelie calls Nino, but she refuses to give her identity instead sending him a photo of her in disguise. Meanwhile, Nino has been searching Paris for Amelie (Thin Air). While doing other good deeds she notices the flyers and runs home sending Nino another photo and asking him t meet her at Montmartre Carousel. Amelie sends Nino on a trail to the album (Blue Arrow Suit), and she watches him follow it. 

Tuesday comes and Nino is late for the meeting Amelie imagines an elaborate reasoning (The Late Nino  Quincampoix.) When Nino does come to the cafe and he recognizes Amelie she runs. Outside the cafe, Amelie's co-workers give Nino Amelie's address (Better Hair Cut).  At home Dufayel tries to talk to Amelie, be she angerly tells him to stay out of her business, he has gotten out of his painting rut and painted a painting of her. Nino shows up outside her door and begs Amelie to let him inside and stop running from him (Stay). She lets him inside her apartment. She opens the door and tells Nino that she wants to be with him. They kiss and Amelie takes him to and they take photos together. 

The cast reocridng for the Broadway Cast is on Spotify, Itunes, and phyical CD. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top Ten Tuesday- characters that remind me of myself

Welcome back to Top Ten Tuesday! This is a weekly meme where readers discuss ten or whatever number you would like to have based on a prompt. Our host is Jana at  thatartsyreadergirl . Our topic this week is Characters Like Myself. I am going to take a two words that each character has in in my opinion,  and discuss how that relates to me  as well. 1- Cather Avery from Fangirl Writer- At her core, Cath is a writer, and she loves her stories. I am a writer of both Fan Fiction and original stories like Cath so this was an automatic in for this. Both of us love our work and we tend to through ourselves whole hardheartedly into our work. Sisters- I might have mentioned this on the blog before but I have a younger sister and we’re only roughly 18 months a part. Cath and her twin sister Wren are polar  opposites and this is me and my sister. My younger sister is an extrovert and into science. I on the other hand,  am an introverted creative bookworm.  2- Miriam Kendrick from C

Top Ten Tuesday- Favorite Books of the Year Part 1 (12-21)

    Hi! Jana hosts Top Ten Tuesday @ thatartsyreadergirl . The purpose of this meme was to bring the book blogging community together and foster our love of lists. Each week, Jana posts a topic, and we readers respond based on that prompt. This week our topic is a freebie, so I decided to make my list of my top ten reads part one.   Middle Grade 12- Never After by Melissa de la Cruz I'm almost done with this book. It's a duology, and I loved the new twist on fairy tales.    YA 13- Don’t Read the Comments by Eric Smith I read this early in the year and it stuck with me. This YA Contemporary about gaming and the culture of the gaming industry was fantastic.  14- The Book Thief by Markus Zusak It took me years to read this book but I really enjoyed it. I love the unique narrator, the characters, and the story.  15- The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas This is another backlist release. I loved this book, and I knew when I read it that it had the potential to be on this list. I still thi

2019 Book Resolutions Tag!

Hey everyone! So Thursdays on the blog I am going to post a new tag. I think tags are so much fun, and I enjoy the time to reflect on what I’ve read in the past, or what I want to read. Images come from Goodreads. I grabbed the questions from  this blog 1. An author you’d like to read (that you’ve never read before). Leigh Bardugo! I have heard such great things about the Grisha verse, so I want to see if it lives up to all the hype. I have a feeling it will, and I am intrigued by the world. I got the first three books in the series as one large Ebook , so I ’m going to start that next month. I can’t wait to go on the journey and be immersed in a new series!  2. A book you’d like to read. Romanov by Nadine Brandes I love Anastasia and the Romanov family. This looks like such a fantastic retelling. I am drawn in just reading the blurb on Goodreads.  3. A classic you’d like to read. A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett. I’ve had the Barnes and Nobel edition of