Skip to main content
New series of fics for a challenge on Amino! I’m not sure how long they will be, as I don’t know how I will do from week to week, This was a lot of fun!  As always I appreciate feedback. 
A Winter In The City
Theme: Getting ready for Christmas! Whether it be putting lights on the tree, wrapping presents or baking cookies! Christmas is coming!
Model: Sonya Rostova
Christmas time was coming and it was one of Sonya’s favorite times of the year because she had the people that she loved her. Natasha was always around her, because they lived together, as recent college graduates with jobs Natasha’s parents got them an apartment. Sonya was starting her first winter as a writer at The New York Times, she was doing more intern type things now but she was going to move up in the ranks at the times. Natasha was working with students privately she had a studio not far from their apartment where she taught students. They both had money this year, and so they were going to get things that would make their apartment a little more festive for the holidays.
Today was the day that they were going to set up the lights they brought and bake the cookies that they had brought.  Natasha had taken Friday’s off because she needed to take the day for herself sometimes, and Sonya had taken the day as a personal day. Sonya was so loyal to her job that she had not missed a day since she started working, she told herself that she could take this day and do other things that she wanted to do. This was what she had told herself, she told herself that she could take the day for her sometimes, and it would still be okay her job would still be there tomorrow. Even her boss had said it was okay, so why she was so worried she had no idea but she was just being overly anxious about this today.
“Are you ready to start doing the lights?!” Natasha came into Sonya’s room chirping. She knew that Sonya was trying to think of work that she should be doing today because that was the kind of thing that her cousin did. Sonya was one that was always worried about her work, and what she should be doing for work. They had both agreed to take the day off, but this would not stop Sonya for thinking about the things that she needed to do for her work.
“Oh yeah, I am sorry.” Sonya looked at Natasha after she spoke, she assure that Natasha had figured out that she was thinking about the work that she needed to be doing today. Right now she was pretty much staring at the wall because she was feeling guilty about taking off today when she had already been told it was okay.
“It’s fine. I think that you’re thinking about what you need to be doing at work today, and I am here because you really deserve to take a personal day.” Natasha was going to keep reminding her of this no matter what it took, she wanted to make sure that Sonya really heard her when she was saying this to her.
“Thank you for reminding me of that Natasha I really appreciate it.” Sonya than got up from her bed, and made her way to the hallway, if they were going to do this the time was now because she should take a downward spiral into what she should be doing today.
As the two of them put up the lights they talked about the things that were going on in their lives. A little bit about work, but also about what they were doing in their personal lives as well. Sonya didn’t get out much, but she was telling Natasha about how she went out on her lunch break for walks. It helped her clear her head, and she was able to make it through the rest of the day.  If she had not gone all the walks she would most likely struggle with the rest of the workday. She was going to try and get better, but she was pretty anxious and she was getting help for it, and while it was helping she still really struggled. Natasha nodded as Sonya spoke, she thought that it was good that Sonya was opening up about this it really seemed like it helped her. She didn’t deal with the same things that Sonya did, but she did see where Sonya was coming from in some cases. Sonya was such a great listener, that sometimes she needed someone to listen to her as she needed help as well.
“I think that we did a pretty nice job here,” Natasha said as she took a step back and admired the lights that they had put on the tree that they had gotten. They had a real tree, which might be an odd thing to see in the city, but they really wanted the real tree that they had all of their lives. The real tree really felt like it was a taste of home, the two of them growing up in a suburb of Philadelphia.  
“I really think we did as well! With the real tree, it feels like it is a real taste of the home that we grew up with.”  Sonya smiled she really missed the way that their home was, with their family around them and she wished that they were here. She would see them soon when she and Natasha went home, but she wished that her family was with her all of the time.
“Look at this it really makes you miss home right? I mean I know that we will be going home soon, but it really does make me miss home.” Natasha smiled she really missed home now, and she wished that their family lived in the city with them. Sure she had moved to New York City for college to get away from them, and spread herself out with Sonya by her side but she really did miss her family.
“Oh yes it really does, it is like we are home with them right now while I look at the tree that we have here. I love it, and I really think that our family would be proud of what we did here.” She smiled and stood back next to Natasha. She really was one that loved what they did here, and they could not have done a better job if she did say so herself.
“So cookies next?” Natasha looked at Sonya, she was trying to keep Sonya’s mind off the work that she should be doing now.  Natasha could use a break, but she was trying to keep Sonya on task for what they were doing today. Natasha was ready for a break now, but she was trying to make sure that Sonya didn’t want to keep moving forward.
“Absolutely cookies next.” She waltzed into the kitchen and got things ready. Keeping her mind off the work that she needed to be doing today was important, and if she didn’t she would talk herself into anxiety. They were going to make all kinds of different cookies, and so it would keep them busy for a while. Natasha’s mother had given them the recipes of the cookies from their childhood, what they loved and what both of them called their favorites.
Natasha had a love the candy cane cookies, and the sugar cookies with the chocolate kiss in the center. Sonya had a preference for the peanut butter cookies and the cookies that were like the candy cane cookies that Natasha liked only they were in the shape of snowflakes. The Rostova family had a lot of people, and Natasha’s mother tried to make the two kinds of cookies that everyone really enjoyed every year.  It was a tradition that Natasha and Sonya had carried with them here now that they had their own house. They both loved this tradition, and they both had a love for the season when they were around their family. These cookies were a way of keeping their family with them, and they loved doing it every year.
“I really love that we keep this tradition and that we do the cookies every year. It’s a way that our family is with us, even though they are a few hours away.” Natasha looked at Sonya, she was sure that Sonya had the same feelings as she did, as this is what they talked about a lot.
“Oh yes and in keeping with this tradition we need to put on the Christmas music, you know like your dad does every year when we make cookies?” She looked at Natasha hoping that her cousin remembered about putting on the Christmas music as a part of the tradition.
“Of course I already have it queued up and ready to go for us.”  She went over to the stereo and put on the playlist that was already pulled up on her phone and the music started playing.
They both grabbed the bowls that they would be using a lot of different ones because this is what Natasha’s mother used. When the girls moved out her mother gave them the bowls that she used every year. Natasha’s mother was really the type that liked to know what the girls were doing, and she had a thought that if she had given them the bowls than the girls would make the cookies. Natasha’s mother was also a very traditional woman, and she was one that really liked to keep up the traditions going from year to year. This was another reason why she had given the woman the bowls that she used. Not her own bowls of course, but the ones that were like the ones that she used when they made cookies as a family.  
They both chatted as they made cookies, a casual chat that didn’t want to talk about anything that would upset the other one. It was mostly questions like what was their favorite holiday song, and what did they want from their family this year. This is what bonded them, and they really did enjoy the bonding time together.
When the cookies were done Natasha took two of her favorite kinds and tasted them. “Well, Sonya I think that did a really great job here.” She stated and took a glance at Sonya to see if she agreed with her or not.
Sonya took both of her favorite cookies and tasted them. “I agree with Natasha.” It was getting late, but they had really done their family proud today.  “I think that we have really done our family proud today!” “I really think they would be impressed.”
“I think that they would be as well. This had been a very productive day.”  Natasha was getting tired, and so she was so ready to just chill with Sonya for the night. “Are we ready to just chill for the rest of the night?”
“I am so ready to just chill for the night. Thank you so much for today!” She was so happy that Natasha was on her side.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top Ten Tuesday- characters that remind me of myself

Welcome back to Top Ten Tuesday! This is a weekly meme where readers discuss ten or whatever number you would like to have based on a prompt. Our host is Jana at  thatartsyreadergirl . Our topic this week is Characters Like Myself. I am going to take a two words that each character has in in my opinion,  and discuss how that relates to me  as well. 1- Cather Avery from Fangirl Writer- At her core, Cath is a writer, and she loves her stories. I am a writer of both Fan Fiction and original stories like Cath so this was an automatic in for this. Both of us love our work and we tend to through ourselves whole hardheartedly into our work. Sisters- I might have mentioned this on the blog before but I have a younger sister and we’re only roughly 18 months a part. Cath and her twin sister Wren are polar  opposites and this is me and my sister. My younger sister is an extrovert and into science. I on the other hand,  am an introverted creative bookworm.  2- Miriam Kendrick from C

Top Ten Tuesday- Favorite Books of the Year Part 1 (12-21)

    Hi! Jana hosts Top Ten Tuesday @ thatartsyreadergirl . The purpose of this meme was to bring the book blogging community together and foster our love of lists. Each week, Jana posts a topic, and we readers respond based on that prompt. This week our topic is a freebie, so I decided to make my list of my top ten reads part one.   Middle Grade 12- Never After by Melissa de la Cruz I'm almost done with this book. It's a duology, and I loved the new twist on fairy tales.    YA 13- Don’t Read the Comments by Eric Smith I read this early in the year and it stuck with me. This YA Contemporary about gaming and the culture of the gaming industry was fantastic.  14- The Book Thief by Markus Zusak It took me years to read this book but I really enjoyed it. I love the unique narrator, the characters, and the story.  15- The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas This is another backlist release. I loved this book, and I knew when I read it that it had the potential to be on this list. I still thi

2019 Book Resolutions Tag!

Hey everyone! So Thursdays on the blog I am going to post a new tag. I think tags are so much fun, and I enjoy the time to reflect on what I’ve read in the past, or what I want to read. Images come from Goodreads. I grabbed the questions from  this blog 1. An author you’d like to read (that you’ve never read before). Leigh Bardugo! I have heard such great things about the Grisha verse, so I want to see if it lives up to all the hype. I have a feeling it will, and I am intrigued by the world. I got the first three books in the series as one large Ebook , so I ’m going to start that next month. I can’t wait to go on the journey and be immersed in a new series!  2. A book you’d like to read. Romanov by Nadine Brandes I love Anastasia and the Romanov family. This looks like such a fantastic retelling. I am drawn in just reading the blurb on Goodreads.  3. A classic you’d like to read. A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett. I’ve had the Barnes and Nobel edition of