Skip to main content

Top Ten Tuesday - Favorite characters of 2019


Welcome back! I got busy last week, so I couldn't post TTT. Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by Jana @thatartsyreadergirl. Every week, we make a post based on the prompt this week, and it was built on a love of books and lists. This week's prompt was a Freebie, so I decided to do my top ten characters in 2019. 

1- Miriam from Comics Will Break Your Heart by Faith Erin Hicks

You have all heard me talk about this book all year long. I had to give Miriam the first slot in this list, because she was so much fun, and she was so sweet. I really related to her because, for a lot of the book, she was struggling with her life after graduation, and what she wanted to do with her life. Honestly, this was what drew me to love her character, because while I have seen a plot like this, I have not seen it portrayed as well as in this plot. The B plot was the romance with Weldon, and the two of them were sweet. Miriam was also an introvert,  this was another reason I related to her, and why she is one of my favorite characters in YA Literature.  
 
2- Imogen from The Princess and the Fangirl by Ashley Poston

Imogen was such a gem and a delight to read about. The novel was a companion novel to Geekerella, which I also read this year. I loved Mo because of her devotion to her fandom, and her love for the character Jessica Stone played. Mo was an introvert, and she was a lot of fun, I loved reading about her life, and her struggles. The side characters of this were fun and reading them about them also made this one of the best reads of 2019. 

3- Evelyn from The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid

I followed the hype and read this book, I had seen so many glowing reviews, so my standards for this were high. Evelyn was so sassy and I enjoyed her story so much. Her story was full of difficulties and I was loving her journey. Events are this book are a lot, and I don't want to spoil the plot for anyone who might not have read it yet. If you have read this book, I'm sure you know why Evelyn is on this list. 

4- Nastya (Anastasia) from Romanov by Nadine Brandes

If you've been following this blog for a while, you know that I love Anastasia, and that I will read every retelling I can.  This is the best Anastasia retelling  I've ever read, and that was all thanks to our main character Nastya. Anastasia in this retelling was training in a magic of kind. She was awesome, and she was a badass. Nastya used her magic to help her brother by healing him when he got injured. The romance in this story was sweet, and this was another reason I loved her. 

5- Winona from Hello Girls by Brittany Cavallaro and Emily Henry

This book was a ride and Winona was one of the reasons I enjoyed this book so much. Winona had so much happen to her, and she had so many struggles in her life, yet she came out on top in the end. Winona was sassy and opinionated, and she was such a joy to read and about. I was rooting for her, and she was just awesome.  

6- Jude from The Folk of Air Trilogy 

I binged the first two books in this series back in January and February of this year. Jude was someone I fell in love with from the first page of her story. As you know, I read little Fantasy, but this woman was someone that made the book for me. Jude was another character who had many obstacles and struggles in her life. As I followed her story, my love for Jude grew more and more, I have not read The Queen of Nothing yet, but I plan on reading it soon. Jude needed to be on this list because she was one of my favorites of 2019. 
 
7- Claudia from Foolish Hearts by Emma Mills

When I was reading this book, I was in the middle of a bit of a reading slump. Claudia was a gem because she loved theater so much, and I related to her because of that. Her story was something that intrigued me, because of how Claudia got involved in the show. Claudia also has a romance, and that was so sweet I loved the couple in this story.   This was one of the most fun books I read this year. 

8- Elle from Geekerella by Ashley Poston

I know that putting two books from the same universe on this list seems like a cop-out. Elle is from one of my favorite reads of the year, and she is so much fun. The story is a Cinderella retelling, and Elle was such a joy to follow the story of. Elle had a love of fandoms and con, and she was following her father's legacy. The romance is sweet, and I can't wait to see this universe continue. 

9- Alina from Shadow and Bone from Leigh Bardugo

If you follow me on Goodreads, you know that I'm in the middle of this book right now. I needed to include Alina on this list because I feel in love with her from the moment the story started. Alina is sassy and opinionated, and I can't wait to hear where her story goes from here. 


10- Clara from The Enchanted Sonata by Heather Dixon Wallwork

This is another book I'm in the middle of right now. I love Clara because she plays music, and she is so sweet. The story is a Nutcracker retelling with a twist, and it could make one of my top ten books of the year. 

Feel free to follow me on Twitter and Goodreads

Comments

  1. Welcome back to TTT! This was a fun list.

    My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOh nice ones! I did like Jude! She was definitely a heroine I could get behind! I still need to read Romanov but glad to hear the heroine is likeable as well!

    Thanks for visiting my TTT post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love characters who just jump off the page! It's always fun to discover great new ones. I haven't read any of these books, but the characters must have been something special to be so memorable to you. Glad you found them this year :)

    Happy TTT!

    Susan
    www.blogginboutbooks.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still need to read the Seven Husbands! And Faith Erin Hicks too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a an awesome list, and kind of the best reasons to read these books!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jude is amazing and one of my favorite characters I've read in recent years. Hope you enjoy Queen of Nothing when you get a chance to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My favorite character of 2019 was Nina from The Huntress by Kate Quinn!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Top Ten Tuesday- characters that remind me of myself

Welcome back to Top Ten Tuesday! This is a weekly meme where readers discuss ten or whatever number you would like to have based on a prompt. Our host is Jana at  thatartsyreadergirl . Our topic this week is Characters Like Myself. I am going to take a two words that each character has in in my opinion,  and discuss how that relates to me  as well. 1- Cather Avery from Fangirl Writer- At her core, Cath is a writer, and she loves her stories. I am a writer of both Fan Fiction and original stories like Cath so this was an automatic in for this. Both of us love our work and we tend to through ourselves whole hardheartedly into our work. Sisters- I might have mentioned this on the blog before but I have a younger sister and we’re only roughly 18 months a part. Cath and her twin sister Wren are polar  opposites and this is me and my sister. My younger sister is an extrovert and into science. I on the other hand,  am an introverted creative bookworm.  2- Miriam Kendrick from C

Top Ten Tuesday- Favorite Books of the Year Part 1 (12-21)

    Hi! Jana hosts Top Ten Tuesday @ thatartsyreadergirl . The purpose of this meme was to bring the book blogging community together and foster our love of lists. Each week, Jana posts a topic, and we readers respond based on that prompt. This week our topic is a freebie, so I decided to make my list of my top ten reads part one.   Middle Grade 12- Never After by Melissa de la Cruz I'm almost done with this book. It's a duology, and I loved the new twist on fairy tales.    YA 13- Don’t Read the Comments by Eric Smith I read this early in the year and it stuck with me. This YA Contemporary about gaming and the culture of the gaming industry was fantastic.  14- The Book Thief by Markus Zusak It took me years to read this book but I really enjoyed it. I love the unique narrator, the characters, and the story.  15- The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas This is another backlist release. I loved this book, and I knew when I read it that it had the potential to be on this list. I still thi

2019 Book Resolutions Tag!

Hey everyone! So Thursdays on the blog I am going to post a new tag. I think tags are so much fun, and I enjoy the time to reflect on what I’ve read in the past, or what I want to read. Images come from Goodreads. I grabbed the questions from  this blog 1. An author you’d like to read (that you’ve never read before). Leigh Bardugo! I have heard such great things about the Grisha verse, so I want to see if it lives up to all the hype. I have a feeling it will, and I am intrigued by the world. I got the first three books in the series as one large Ebook , so I ’m going to start that next month. I can’t wait to go on the journey and be immersed in a new series!  2. A book you’d like to read. Romanov by Nadine Brandes I love Anastasia and the Romanov family. This looks like such a fantastic retelling. I am drawn in just reading the blurb on Goodreads.  3. A classic you’d like to read. A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett. I’ve had the Barnes and Nobel edition of