Skip to main content

Top Ten Tuesday-Books for My Younger Self

 


Hi! Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by Jana @thatartsyreadergirl. The purpose of the meme is to bring the book blogging community together and foster our love of list. Each week, Jana posts a prompt and we write out a reply based on our own opinions. This week, the topic was books for my younger self. I went with books I wish were out when I was in middle school or high school. 

1- The Lightning Thief and the rest of the Percy Universe

When I was in elementary and middle school, I would have loved these books. The mythology with a dash of fantasy missed with real-life because you follow the day-to-day life of the half-bloods I would have devoured. As an adult, I love them, but as a kid or a pre-teen, these books would have been my Harry Potter.

2- Simon Vs the Homo Sapiens Agenda

In high school, I would have loved this book. It’s filled with theater references, and it’s filled with finding yourself and who you are. I would have loved Simon and I would have related to his story in more ways than one. The friends' group in this book is awesome, and I would have loved to read about them when I was 16.

3- Fangirl

I know I talk a lot about this book, but this would not be books for my younger self list if I didn’t include this. I would have related to Cath in many ways, from the strained relationship with her sister to her introverted ways, and her love of books. When I was in High School, I would have wanted to be best friends with Cath.

 

4- Dear Evan Hansen

I have an issue with a part of the musical, but I still enjoy that, and this book is no different. Evan is a character with anxiety, and he feels he can’t interact with people all that well. Middle and High School me would have related to Evan and his struggles throughout the novel. My favorite character in the media is Zoe Murphy, the love interest of Evan, who loves music, and is in the Jazz band. I would have related to her because I was in choirs and musicals.

 

5- Foolish Hearts

 

I talked about this book as I was reading it last year, but I would have loved to read this in High school. The theatre kids in the story reminded me a lot of the kids I used to hang out with in High School.

6- After Anatevka

I have always loved Fiddler on the Roof, both the movie and the musical of the same name. In high school, I would have loved to have done a paper, or just talked about this Historical Fiction. The story takes place on Russia, during the time of the revolution, and I would have loved to just talk about this book with other people. My favorite character is Hodel, and I would have loved to talk or write about her journey for an English or History class.

7- The Night Circus

I really enjoyed this Historical Fiction and in High School I would have loved to escape to the world of the circus, and fall in love with the characters I fell in love with as an adult.  The writing is beautiful, and the story is unique, making it one of my favorite books ever. This is another book I would have loved to write a paper about, or just talk with other students about as I was reading it. 

8- What If It’s Us

I loved this YA novel two years ago. I related to the principal character because he liked theater, and he was in New York City for the summer. In High School, I would have loved to meet him because he was shy, and he liked theater. He wanted to see Hamilton so badly, and I related to that as well. Arthur was shy and anxious at times, and, and I said before, I related to that when I was in high school. 

9—Yes, No Maybe So

I don’t hear many people talking about this book that came out earlier this year, but I loved it so much. Jamie was Jewish, which I am as well, and in High School, I would have loved to have heard his story. Maya was another outstanding character that I enjoyed getting to know, and I would have enjoyed getting to know her more if I was the same as she and Jamie were in the book, I believe. This book would have been inspirational for me as a teen in this political time.

10- All I Know Now

This is a Non-Fiction filled with advice and anecdotes from Carrie Hope Fletcher. This is very much a case of I would have loved the advice and stories in this book as a teen.   

Comments

  1. I'm a huge fan of Fiddler on the Roof, too. I've never heard of AFTER ANATEVKA, but it sounds amazing. I'm definitely going to find myself a copy. Thanks for the heads-up!

    Happy TTT!

    Susan
    www.blogginboutbooks.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book came out a few years ago, but not many people don't know about it. I loved it.

      Delete
  2. I would have loved Foolish Hearts as a teenager, too. Nice list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many of these would be great, for sure, but I definitely agree with Fangirl. Books like that would resonate so much with high schoolers, I'd think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Fangirl so much. Thanks for stopping by Greg.

      Delete
  4. I completely forgot about Dear Evan Hansen but that definitely would have been a great book for my younger self. Love your list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not the greatest book I've ever read but I definetly think high schoolers should read it.

      Delete
  5. I would have loved Percy Jackson even more when I was younger too. I really need to re-read The Night Circus. I listened to it and the audio book didn't do much for me, even though it was read by Jim Dale, whom everyone loves. I would have enjoyed reading and really processing the beautiful language more in print.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how you give a reason for every single book. I had never heard about "After Anatevka" and found that there are two novels with that title. Which one did you talk about? I read Tevye the Dairyman a couple of years ago and really loved it.

    Thanks for visiting my TTT earlier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never read Tevey the Dairyman yet. The one I discussed was by Alexandra Silber .

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Top Ten Tuesday- characters that remind me of myself

Welcome back to Top Ten Tuesday! This is a weekly meme where readers discuss ten or whatever number you would like to have based on a prompt. Our host is Jana at  thatartsyreadergirl . Our topic this week is Characters Like Myself. I am going to take a two words that each character has in in my opinion,  and discuss how that relates to me  as well. 1- Cather Avery from Fangirl Writer- At her core, Cath is a writer, and she loves her stories. I am a writer of both Fan Fiction and original stories like Cath so this was an automatic in for this. Both of us love our work and we tend to through ourselves whole hardheartedly into our work. Sisters- I might have mentioned this on the blog before but I have a younger sister and we’re only roughly 18 months a part. Cath and her twin sister Wren are polar  opposites and this is me and my sister. My younger sister is an extrovert and into science. I on the other hand,  am an introverted creative bookworm.  2- Miriam Kendrick from C

Top Ten Tuesday- Favorite Books of the Year Part 1 (12-21)

    Hi! Jana hosts Top Ten Tuesday @ thatartsyreadergirl . The purpose of this meme was to bring the book blogging community together and foster our love of lists. Each week, Jana posts a topic, and we readers respond based on that prompt. This week our topic is a freebie, so I decided to make my list of my top ten reads part one.   Middle Grade 12- Never After by Melissa de la Cruz I'm almost done with this book. It's a duology, and I loved the new twist on fairy tales.    YA 13- Don’t Read the Comments by Eric Smith I read this early in the year and it stuck with me. This YA Contemporary about gaming and the culture of the gaming industry was fantastic.  14- The Book Thief by Markus Zusak It took me years to read this book but I really enjoyed it. I love the unique narrator, the characters, and the story.  15- The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas This is another backlist release. I loved this book, and I knew when I read it that it had the potential to be on this list. I still thi

2019 Book Resolutions Tag!

Hey everyone! So Thursdays on the blog I am going to post a new tag. I think tags are so much fun, and I enjoy the time to reflect on what I’ve read in the past, or what I want to read. Images come from Goodreads. I grabbed the questions from  this blog 1. An author you’d like to read (that you’ve never read before). Leigh Bardugo! I have heard such great things about the Grisha verse, so I want to see if it lives up to all the hype. I have a feeling it will, and I am intrigued by the world. I got the first three books in the series as one large Ebook , so I ’m going to start that next month. I can’t wait to go on the journey and be immersed in a new series!  2. A book you’d like to read. Romanov by Nadine Brandes I love Anastasia and the Romanov family. This looks like such a fantastic retelling. I am drawn in just reading the blurb on Goodreads.  3. A classic you’d like to read. A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett. I’ve had the Barnes and Nobel edition of