Skip to main content

Top Ten Tuesdays- recent additions to my Goodreads Shelf

Hi! Welcome back to Top Ten Tuesday. Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by Jana @thatartsyreadergirl, the weekly meme was born out of a love of lists, and bringing the community together. This weekly, the topic was 10 recent additions to your shelf, this would be a tad boring for me because I got two large series for Christmas. Anyway, here are my ten most recent additions to my Goodreads want-to-read shelf. I'll link the books to the Goodreads page by the title being a link.

644- Lion (Faeries of Oz 0.5) by Amber R. Duell and Candace Robinson

Why- This title comes out in 2020, and I saw it on my feed yesterday. I have never pressed want to read faster than when I saw this book. We know nothing about this, but I am so ready to get into this world and see how this story takes place.  The Wizard of Oz is one of my favorite things, and I can't wait to see where this story goes.
43667490
645- The Prom: A Novel Based on the Hit Broadway Musical by Saundra Mitchell, Chad Beguelin, Bob Martin, Matthew Sklar

Published-  September 10th, 2019 by Viking Books for Young Readers

Goodreads Summary 

"An honest, laugh-out-loud, feel-good novel inspired by the hit Broadway musical The Prom --New York Times Critic's Pick! 

Seventeen-year-old Emma Nolan wants only one thing before she graduates: to dance with her girlfriend at the senior prom. But in her small town of Edgewater, Indiana, that's like asking for the moon.

Alyssa Greene is her high school's "it" girl: popular, head of the student council, and daughter of the PTA president. She also has a secret. She's been dating Emma for the last year and a half.

When word gets out that Emma plans to bring a girl as her date, it stirs a community-wide uproar that spirals out of control. Now, the PTA, led by Alyssa's mother, is threatening to cancel the prom altogether.

Enter Barry Glickman and Dee Dee Allen, two Broadway has-beens who see Emma's story as the perfect opportunity to restore their place in the limelight. But when they arrive in Indiana to fight on Emma's behalf, their good intentions go quickly south.

Between Emma facing the fray head-on, Alyssa wavering about coming out, and Barry and Dee Dee basking in all the attention, it's the perfect prom storm. Only when this unlikely group comes together do they realize that love is always worth fighting for."

Why- Okay, so I  read the issues with the arc, and once someone informed me of said issues with this novel, I canceled my pre-order, and I took this off my tbr.  Last night, I was informed that this book as not as bad, and that the biggest issue for me had been changed back. Anyway, I want to read this because the movie will come out this year, and I want to read it before the film comes out.  I am keeping my expectations in the middle, and will higher or lower them once I read. I adore the musical, and I'm aware this won't live up to that, but I want to read this. 

643- Tin (Faeries of Oz #1) by Candace Robinson, Amber R. Duell

See number 644. 

642- The Mirror Season 

Goodreads Summary

"A magical realism reimagining of “The Snow Queen,” in which two teens who were sexually assaulted at the same party find their fates unexpectedly intertwined during a month of vanishing trees, enchanted pan dulce, and inherited magic."

Why-  This is another title being released next year, and I can't wait to read it! I've never read this author, but I read  A reimagining of The Snow Queen and I was in!  This book sounds fantastic and I can't wait. 

641- The Sullivan Sisters by Kathryn Ormsbee


Goodreads Summary

"Time changes things.

That painful fact of life couldn’t be truer for the Sullivan sisters. Once, they used to be close, sharing secrets inside homemade blanket castles. Now, life in the Sullivan house means closed doors and secrets left untold.

Fourteen-year-old Murphy, an aspiring magician, is shocked by the death of Siegfried, her pet turtle. Seventeen-year-old Claire is bound for better things than her Oregonian hometown—until she receives a crushing rejection from her dream college. And eighteen-year-old Eileen is nursing a growing addiction in the wake of life-altering news.

Then, days before Christmas, a letter arrives, informing the sisters of a dead uncle and an inheritance they knew nothing about. The news forces them to band together in the face of a sinister family mystery…and, possibly, murder.
 "

Why- This might seem like an odd choice I know, but I have read Tash Hearts Tolstoy by this author, and I loved it so much!!! This could be the book that turns me into a fan of this genre.  The book comes out in May of this year, and I'm very excited. 


47193711

Goodreads Summary

"An LGBT romantic comedy with a twist from the Comedy Women in Print prize winner Laura Steven, author of The Exact Opposite of Okay. A hilarious love story with bite, for fans of Sex Education, Booksmart, Becky Albertalli's Love, Simon and Jenny Han's To All The Boys I've Loved Before.

Physics genius Caro Kerber-Murphy knows she’s smart. With straight As and a college scholarship already in the bag, she’s meeting her two dads’ colossal expectations and then some. But there’s one test she’s never quite been able to ace: love. And when, in a particularly desperate moment, Caro discovers a (definitely questionable) scientific breakthrough that promises to make you irresistible to everyone around you, she wonders if this could be the key.

What happens next will change everything Caro thought she knew about chemistry – in the lab and in love. Is hot guy Haruki with her of his own free will? Are her feelings for her best friend some sort of side-effect? Will her dog, Sirius, ever stop humping her leg?

Laura is the author of fiercely funny feminist comedy The Exact Opposite of Okay and its sequel, A Girl Called Shameless. The Exact Opposite of Okay was a bestselling young adult debut in 2018 and won the inaugural Comedy Women in Print prize, founded by Helen Lederer, from a shortlist including Gail Honeyman's Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine and Why Mummy Swears by Gill Sims. 

Praise for The Exact Opposite of Okay:
'A brilliant social satire . . . disarmingly charming and relatable . . . it was hilarious. Laura Steven is an explosive talent on the page!' CWIP judges Marian Keyes, Kathy Lette, Katy Brand, Allison Pearson, Shazia Mirza and Jennifer Young

'Laura Steven simultaneously destroyed the patriarchy and made me laugh so hard I choked. I will protect Izzy O'Neill with my life.' Becky Albertalli, author of Love, Simon"

Why- I read a bit of The Exact Opposite of Okay last year, and I want to add it to my tbr to read it this year. I loved what I read, but never got a copy of it yet, and I need to reprimand that. This book looks fun, and I love the look of it. I'm here for all the LGBTQ+ stories, and this seems like such a fun one. 


Goodreads Summary- 

"The creators of the blockbuster podcast The Adventure Zone bring their talents to Marvel for a wild romp through THE WAR OF THE REALMS! Earth is at war, besieged by an army of Frost Giants, Trolls and Fire Goblins - and the mighty Thor is nowhere to be found! But could it be that the key to turning the tide is...Thor's baby sister? Journey into Mystery with Spider-Man (Miles Morales), Hawkeye (Kate Bishop), Wonder Man, and Balder the Brave as they go on an epic quest to save Earth's only hope! (And, yes, deal with diaper duty.)

COLLECTING: WAR OF THE REALMS: JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY 1-5"

Why- If you read my post yesterday, this is the Marvel story that the brothers and their dad wrote. I have a copy of the bind up, and I can't wait to work this into my TBR this year for the backlist challenge, as a genre I don't usually read, because it's a comic/ graphic novel. 

These next numbers are the comics form the bind up above, so the numbers are off. I'm jumping to the next numbers that aren't those. 
46223323
637- The Adventure Zone: Petals to the Metal (The Adventure Zone Graphic Novels #3) by Clint McElroy, Griffin McElroy, Travis McElroy, Justin McElroy, Carey Pietsch

Another Graphic Novel I know! I am hyped to continue these novels as the plots are fun and the art is fun!
44889984
636- Just Breathe by Cammie McGovern

Goodreads Summary

"From the critically acclaimed author of A Step Toward Falling and Say What You Will comes a new YA standalone about mental health, chronic illness, and two teenagers learning to deal with both while falling for each other, perfect for fans of Five Feet Apart.

David Sheinman is the popular president of his senior class, battling cystic fibrosis.

Jamie Turner is a quiet sophomore, struggling with depression.

The pair soon realizes that they can be their true selves with each other, and their unlikely friendship develops into something so much more. But neither Jamie nor David can bring themselves to reveal the secrets that weigh most heavily on their hearts—and their time for honesty may be running out."

Why- I'm trying to diversify my reading and this book will help with that. This book came out earlier this year and the reviews seem positive so far. My plan is to put this book into my tbr at some point this year.  

635-The Bromance Book Club (Bromance Book Club #1) by Lyssa Kay Adams

Goodreads summary

"The first rule of book club: You don't talk about book club.

Nashville Legends second baseman Gavin Scott's marriage is in major league trouble. He’s recently discovered a humiliating secret: his wife Thea has always faked the Big O. When he loses his cool at the revelation, it’s the final straw on their already strained relationship. Thea asks for a divorce, and Gavin realizes he’s let his pride and fear get the better of him. 

Welcome to the Bromance Book Club.

Distraught and desperate, Gavin finds help from an unlikely source: a secret romance book club made up of Nashville's top alpha men. With the help of their current read, a steamy Regency titled Courting the Countess, the guys coach Gavin on saving his marriage. But it'll take a lot more than flowery words and grand gestures for this hapless Romeo to find his inner hero and win back the trust of his wife."

Why- This book was hyped in 2019 and I want to read it this year! The book seems like so much fun and I'm not sure if it's YA or Adult, but I can't wait to get into the book and world. 

42248816



Goodreads Summary

"When Amaya rescues a mysterious stranger from drowning, she fears her rash actions have earned her a longer sentence on the debtor ship where she’s been held captive for years. Instead, the man she saved offers her unimaginable riches and a new identity, setting Amaya on a perilous course through the coastal city-state of Moray, where old-world opulence and desperate gamblers collide.

Amaya wants one thing: revenge against the man who ruined her family and stole the life she once had. But the more entangled she becomes in this game of deception—and as her path intertwines with the son of the man she’s plotting to bring down—the more she uncovers about the truth of her past. And the more she realizes she must trust no one…

Packed with high-stakes adventure, romance, and dueling identities, this gender-swapped retelling of The Count of Monte Cristo is the first novel in an epic YA fantasy duology, perfect for fans of Sarah J. Maas, Sabaa Tahir, and Leigh Bardugo."

Why- This fantasy seems epic and I can't wait to read it. The reviews seem positive so far, and I want to work this into my tbr this year. 






Comments

  1. I can't remember if Scavenge the Stars is on my TBR, but it's one I am really curious about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scavenge the Stars is on a number of these lists. https://pmprescott.blogspot.com/2020/01/ttt-012120_21.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that cover of the Love Hypothesis!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Top Ten Tuesday- characters that remind me of myself

Welcome back to Top Ten Tuesday! This is a weekly meme where readers discuss ten or whatever number you would like to have based on a prompt. Our host is Jana at  thatartsyreadergirl . Our topic this week is Characters Like Myself. I am going to take a two words that each character has in in my opinion,  and discuss how that relates to me  as well. 1- Cather Avery from Fangirl Writer- At her core, Cath is a writer, and she loves her stories. I am a writer of both Fan Fiction and original stories like Cath so this was an automatic in for this. Both of us love our work and we tend to through ourselves whole hardheartedly into our work. Sisters- I might have mentioned this on the blog before but I have a younger sister and we’re only roughly 18 months a part. Cath and her twin sister Wren are polar  opposites and this is me and my sister. My younger sister is an extrovert and into science. I on the other hand,  am an introverted creative bookworm.  2- Miriam Kendrick from C

Top Ten Tuesday- Favorite Books of the Year Part 1 (12-21)

    Hi! Jana hosts Top Ten Tuesday @ thatartsyreadergirl . The purpose of this meme was to bring the book blogging community together and foster our love of lists. Each week, Jana posts a topic, and we readers respond based on that prompt. This week our topic is a freebie, so I decided to make my list of my top ten reads part one.   Middle Grade 12- Never After by Melissa de la Cruz I'm almost done with this book. It's a duology, and I loved the new twist on fairy tales.    YA 13- Don’t Read the Comments by Eric Smith I read this early in the year and it stuck with me. This YA Contemporary about gaming and the culture of the gaming industry was fantastic.  14- The Book Thief by Markus Zusak It took me years to read this book but I really enjoyed it. I love the unique narrator, the characters, and the story.  15- The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas This is another backlist release. I loved this book, and I knew when I read it that it had the potential to be on this list. I still thi

2019 Book Resolutions Tag!

Hey everyone! So Thursdays on the blog I am going to post a new tag. I think tags are so much fun, and I enjoy the time to reflect on what I’ve read in the past, or what I want to read. Images come from Goodreads. I grabbed the questions from  this blog 1. An author you’d like to read (that you’ve never read before). Leigh Bardugo! I have heard such great things about the Grisha verse, so I want to see if it lives up to all the hype. I have a feeling it will, and I am intrigued by the world. I got the first three books in the series as one large Ebook , so I ’m going to start that next month. I can’t wait to go on the journey and be immersed in a new series!  2. A book you’d like to read. Romanov by Nadine Brandes I love Anastasia and the Romanov family. This looks like such a fantastic retelling. I am drawn in just reading the blurb on Goodreads.  3. A classic you’d like to read. A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett. I’ve had the Barnes and Nobel edition of