Skip to main content

Movie Review: Come From Away

 



Come From Away follows the story of 6,000 passengers who, as a result of the September 11th, 2001 attacks in the US, needed to touch down in Gander, Newfoundland, Canada. The large Newfoundland airport was once a large military airport used during WW2, as it was the last stop to refuel planes before crossing the Atlantic. As part of emergency air traffic procedures that day, inbound traffic from Europe was diverted to Canadian Military and Civilian airports. Come From Away follows American Airlines flight 49 from Paris to Dallas as an example of the hospitality and kindness of the citizens of Gander over the five days of their stay. The ending scene reunites some of the passengers with Gander Citizens ten years later.

Come From Away features music, lyrics, and a book by Irene Sankoff and David Hein with Christopher Ashley directing the filmed version of the stage production. 

One of the most important elements of a musical is relating to the characters. Come From Away is no different, but is somewhat unique in that they based the characters on real people. This musical is a journey, and you see the ups and downs of all the characters over the course of the film. They’ve crafted the characters in this piece in a way that makes them real, as they were a part of a real humanizing event. Human connection plays a big part in Come From Away, especially since everyone was a stranger as they landed in Gander. They form friendships and build relationships over the course of the musical with one touching example is passenger Hannah, whose son is a firefighter in New York City, who bonds with Beulah as her son is a firefighter in Gander (Costume Party). With such a heavy backstory, you wouldn’t expect many funny or light-hearted moments. However, the characters of Come From Away do bring some funny and light-hearted moments to the movie (In The Bar/ Heave Away), and where some of the passengers can become honorary citizens by kissing a codfish (Screech In).

The telling of a story is another element that audiences look forward to when they watch a musical. Come From Away is a story that could be sad and depressing given its origins around September 11th, but the authors decide to tell a cheerful story about love, life, and human connection. Everyone in the musical comes together to tell the story (Blankets and Bedding), where the citizens sing of preparing to welcome these passengers and this is an ensemble show where the actors play both passengers and citizens. The story flows time-wise over the five days, with the characters changing a piece of their costume as they slip into another character.

What is a musical without a love story? Well, Come From Away certainly has one! Diane (from Texas) and Nick (from England), two strangers who met on the plane, see their love story grow over the next five days (Stop The World, The Dover Fault).


As noted, Come From Away tells a real-life story of people coming together in a time of need, where a small town doubled in size to help plane loads of strangers (38 Planes). Differences are forgotten, as everyone gathers to pray for each other (Prayer). A story of life comes into play when people from all over the world come together and help each other during their most desperate times. Connection plays an important role in the musical because the characters connect with each other, and strangers become friends over the course of five days. Community is an important element in the movie as some passengers return in the last scene to reconnect with those that helped them ten years earlier (10 Years Later).

While the movie is generally uplifting, it also addresses the tension and sorrow that the attacks brought. One pilot (Beverly Bass), the first female captain for American Airlines), sings how her view of the world has suddenly changed (Me And the Sky). Tragically, Hannah learns that her firefighter’s son was killed during the rescue efforts (Something’s Missing).   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top Ten Tuesday- characters that remind me of myself

Welcome back to Top Ten Tuesday! This is a weekly meme where readers discuss ten or whatever number you would like to have based on a prompt. Our host is Jana at  thatartsyreadergirl . Our topic this week is Characters Like Myself. I am going to take a two words that each character has in in my opinion,  and discuss how that relates to me  as well. 1- Cather Avery from Fangirl Writer- At her core, Cath is a writer, and she loves her stories. I am a writer of both Fan Fiction and original stories like Cath so this was an automatic in for this. Both of us love our work and we tend to through ourselves whole hardheartedly into our work. Sisters- I might have mentioned this on the blog before but I have a younger sister and we’re only roughly 18 months a part. Cath and her twin sister Wren are polar  opposites and this is me and my sister. My younger sister is an extrovert and into science. I on the other hand,  am an introverted creative bookworm.  2- Miriam Kendrick from C

Top Ten Tuesday- Favorite Books of the Year Part 1 (12-21)

    Hi! Jana hosts Top Ten Tuesday @ thatartsyreadergirl . The purpose of this meme was to bring the book blogging community together and foster our love of lists. Each week, Jana posts a topic, and we readers respond based on that prompt. This week our topic is a freebie, so I decided to make my list of my top ten reads part one.   Middle Grade 12- Never After by Melissa de la Cruz I'm almost done with this book. It's a duology, and I loved the new twist on fairy tales.    YA 13- Don’t Read the Comments by Eric Smith I read this early in the year and it stuck with me. This YA Contemporary about gaming and the culture of the gaming industry was fantastic.  14- The Book Thief by Markus Zusak It took me years to read this book but I really enjoyed it. I love the unique narrator, the characters, and the story.  15- The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas This is another backlist release. I loved this book, and I knew when I read it that it had the potential to be on this list. I still thi

2019 Book Resolutions Tag!

Hey everyone! So Thursdays on the blog I am going to post a new tag. I think tags are so much fun, and I enjoy the time to reflect on what I’ve read in the past, or what I want to read. Images come from Goodreads. I grabbed the questions from  this blog 1. An author you’d like to read (that you’ve never read before). Leigh Bardugo! I have heard such great things about the Grisha verse, so I want to see if it lives up to all the hype. I have a feeling it will, and I am intrigued by the world. I got the first three books in the series as one large Ebook , so I ’m going to start that next month. I can’t wait to go on the journey and be immersed in a new series!  2. A book you’d like to read. Romanov by Nadine Brandes I love Anastasia and the Romanov family. This looks like such a fantastic retelling. I am drawn in just reading the blurb on Goodreads.  3. A classic you’d like to read. A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett. I’ve had the Barnes and Nobel edition of