Skip to main content

Call Me Athena: A Girl from Detroit by Colby Cedar Smith (E-ARC Review)

 

 


Overview

Hi! I got this from Net Galley Read Now a while back and I really enjoyed it. I didn’t fully understand that this novel was in verse until after I started it, but I was enjoying the story, and so I wanted to finish to see where it would go. This was my first time reading a book in this style, and I want to look into it more because I think I would enjoy it. Read on to see my thoughts. There is an author’s note at the end of the book which reveals that this was inspired by the author's family and I loved that. 

Goodreads Info

Title: Call Me Athena: A Girl from Detroit

Author: Colby Cedar Smith

Genre: YA, Historical Fiction

Expected Publication: August 17th, 2021 by Andrews McMeel Publishing

Rating: 4  stars

Add to Goodreads: here

 

What I enjoyed

Characters

One of my favorite things about this story was the characters. They were well crafted and well developed. The main character is Mary just wants to live her own life and make her own choices for herself, not because she is Greek, and should be a good Greek daughter like her parents want her to be. Mary was my favorite character in this story and it was so much fun reading the story from her point of view. I also really enjoyed Mary’s parents, especially the scenes in the book set in the past, because you got to see how their romance blossomed over the year from the time they met to now. They both grew as people. You can see the growth in the chapters in the past, and I loved that they came back to each other in the end. I enjoyed the minor characters in the story as well, I just wish that we could have spent more time with them to find out more of a backstory for them. I knew from early in the story that the characters would be a star in my review.

Plot

The plot is something that can make or break a book for me, as I’m sure this is the case with most readers. The plot in this book can be seen as simple because it just tells the story about a family in the 1930s Detroit, and the story starts in the past in 1915 and goes through 1918. One of my favorite things about the plot was how simple it was, because it was the story of a family, and that is what I wanted to hear. Letters are woven into the past sections of the story, and it is lovely to see how Mary’s parents, Gio and Jeanne, went from not knowing each other to finding love. Mary’s storyline is great to read as well because you see that she’s just a girl who wants to live her life on her terms and no one else’s. It’s a part of the part and the story that Mary fights for what she wants and I loved that. The headings at the top of the pages make it easy to figure out where you are in the story by having the character’s name, and the year at the top. From early on there was definitely going to be a star in my review for the plot because I really loved how the plot brought both timelines together. 

Writing

Writing is another thing that can make or break a book for me. The writing in this book was beautiful and it matched the story perfectly. With a story this simple, the writing really needs to drive the story, and the poetic writing does. This is a story in verse, but there is no rhyming in the story, and I believe this is what makes the story easier to read. As I said at the start, I had not read a book of this style before, and I loved this style so much.  I loved the writing and how it enhanced and didn’t take away from the story, so I knew that I would need to add a star for the writing in my review.

Enjoyment

I always enjoy adding an enjoyment section to my views because I do very much enjoy the E-ARCs I read. This book was no different because I loved the characters and I loved the story that was going on in this novel. This book has some tense scenes, but there are also some light-hearted moments woven between the serious tones. I add a star for enjoyment to most books because I believe that those should be factored into reviews.

 

What could have been better

 

Pace

The more I read the more I notice that I really need a book to have a steady pace throughout, or I will not really enjoy the story as much as I could. With this novel, sometimes in the past that could have been paced better. There are some sections that are longer than they should be, and there are some sections that could have been longer. The longer sections take you out of the story, and I zoned out as I was reading these sections. Counter to that, the ending sections in the past could have been longer because it seemed like these were rushed in order to finish the story that Smith wanted to tell. The pace of these sections and some of the sections with Mary are why this book was not a five-star read for me. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top Ten Tuesday- characters that remind me of myself

Welcome back to Top Ten Tuesday! This is a weekly meme where readers discuss ten or whatever number you would like to have based on a prompt. Our host is Jana at  thatartsyreadergirl . Our topic this week is Characters Like Myself. I am going to take a two words that each character has in in my opinion,  and discuss how that relates to me  as well. 1- Cather Avery from Fangirl Writer- At her core, Cath is a writer, and she loves her stories. I am a writer of both Fan Fiction and original stories like Cath so this was an automatic in for this. Both of us love our work and we tend to through ourselves whole hardheartedly into our work. Sisters- I might have mentioned this on the blog before but I have a younger sister and we’re only roughly 18 months a part. Cath and her twin sister Wren are polar  opposites and this is me and my sister. My younger sister is an extrovert and into science. I on the other hand,  am an introverted creative bookworm.  2- Miriam Kendrick from C

Top Ten Tuesday- Favorite Books of the Year Part 1 (12-21)

    Hi! Jana hosts Top Ten Tuesday @ thatartsyreadergirl . The purpose of this meme was to bring the book blogging community together and foster our love of lists. Each week, Jana posts a topic, and we readers respond based on that prompt. This week our topic is a freebie, so I decided to make my list of my top ten reads part one.   Middle Grade 12- Never After by Melissa de la Cruz I'm almost done with this book. It's a duology, and I loved the new twist on fairy tales.    YA 13- Don’t Read the Comments by Eric Smith I read this early in the year and it stuck with me. This YA Contemporary about gaming and the culture of the gaming industry was fantastic.  14- The Book Thief by Markus Zusak It took me years to read this book but I really enjoyed it. I love the unique narrator, the characters, and the story.  15- The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas This is another backlist release. I loved this book, and I knew when I read it that it had the potential to be on this list. I still thi

2019 Book Resolutions Tag!

Hey everyone! So Thursdays on the blog I am going to post a new tag. I think tags are so much fun, and I enjoy the time to reflect on what I’ve read in the past, or what I want to read. Images come from Goodreads. I grabbed the questions from  this blog 1. An author you’d like to read (that you’ve never read before). Leigh Bardugo! I have heard such great things about the Grisha verse, so I want to see if it lives up to all the hype. I have a feeling it will, and I am intrigued by the world. I got the first three books in the series as one large Ebook , so I ’m going to start that next month. I can’t wait to go on the journey and be immersed in a new series!  2. A book you’d like to read. Romanov by Nadine Brandes I love Anastasia and the Romanov family. This looks like such a fantastic retelling. I am drawn in just reading the blurb on Goodreads.  3. A classic you’d like to read. A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett. I’ve had the Barnes and Nobel edition of