Skip to main content

Books and Writing Amino- History challenge

Tell us about books you’ve read either based in history or inspired by someone in history.


Hello everyone! Steph here and today I will do the weekly Challenge. I love history, and so I wanted to highlight a few of my favorites. As a writer, I have not written a historical fiction, however; it is on my list to write a few in 2019. I would like to show things here, such as timelines or research I find interesting. The era that I would love to write is the 1920s, Victorian, and perhaps some World War 2 fiction. Let’s get to the books I have read!

After Anatevka by Alexandra Silber

“Hodel saw it through her sister’s eyes: women were created to be in every way partners, not mindless slaves or brainless doormats, but helpers, collaborators, equals. And that was a thing of great beauty.”-After Anatevka

Era it takes place in: Imperial Russia. I don’t remember the dates in this story, but Fiddler on the Roof takes place in 1905, and this book takes place right after Hodel leaves in Fiddler on the Roof. I would also like to mention here that both of the characters in this novel are of the Jewish Faith. I believe that the supporting characters you meet along the way are as well, but I plan on rereading this at some point. The book focuses on these two, so I feel you need to know about their faith going into this story.

For those that are not familiar with the story, this book follows two lovers named Hodel and Perchik. These two characters met in the stories Tevye The Dairyman and other stories by Sholem Aleichem.  I was first introduced to these two in Fiddler on the Roof, but that is beside the point here, I just wanted to precede this by saying how I got introduced to them years and years ago. The story follows Hodel and Perchik in different settings, her in a prison, and him in a concentration camp.  In fact, the two of them don’t meet again until about halfway through the story if I remember correctly. Once they are reunited, it becomes a new story because the two are seeing their love again.

This book means a lot because I have a deep love for these characters. My favorite character in one of favorite musicals getting her own story?! I have discussed this book in the past,  but I feel the need to bring it up again. These two are not star-crossed lovers, but their in that same vein. These two fighting the odds and become better as a couple and as characters because of their time apart.  The writing and the pace of this story is just as lovely as the characters and the romance.

Honorable Mention

I Have Lived a Thousand Years by Livia E.Bitton-Jackson

Era it takes place in: the Holocaust

I read this book in middle school.   I don’t remember a ton about it, which is why I out this on the honorable mentions. This is a memoir, so it is not fiction, but it is still an enjoyable story, at least it was for me. Everyone knows about Anne Frank, and this is another person of the same era, and discussing similar topics.  


The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows

Era the novel takes place in: World War 2 and the aftermath

This story is told in letters back and forth between the main character Juliet and the book club on Guernsey. With the story told in letters this was such a fun story to read. The characters in this book are people that think of each other as family and it is about human connection. The members of the book club each have their own personality and history.

After watching the film I wanted to read this book. I had heard about the book from people here and around the internet, so I was seeing the hype going in. I would say more people should read this book or discuss it more, I see posts about it here and there but see no discussion or analysis of the book. I loved the characters and the story in the novel, and I loved the style of the book. This is one of my favorite Historical Fictions, and so I knew that I wanted to feature it on this challenge blog.   

Photo

The Romanov Sisters by Helen Rappaport

Era in history discussed: Imperial Russia

This was a nonfiction book I read late last year.  The book followed the Romanov family talking about their lives, and the world at the time through the eyes of the Royal family. It went more into how their day-to-day lives were and how they were not seen out in public as much as they could have been. It was called The Romanov Sisters, but it was more about the family than just the daughters. They used stories of, giving the reader a personal look as to what the world was like at the time.

Why this is one of my favorite Non-Fiction books I have ever read is because I could see how much research went into the work. The book is filled with reference pages where you can see the sources and find more information about the particular event you’re interested in. I love the Romanov’s and so I enjoyed seeing the real history and how they really lived their lives. The style of the book might seem dry to some, but I enjoyed learning about different areas in Russian history.


Enchantée By Gita Trelease

Era in History discussed: The French Revolution

For this book I am not sure it works for this challenge. However, I used it because the novel is tagged as Historical Fiction and  Historical on Goodreads. The year is 1789 and the main character Camille has lost her parents, and she has a brother who is a drunk and not helpful to her. In order to support her younger sister Sophie and herself, Camille uses magic, which she learned from her mother to enter the world of Versailles. Camille leaves Versailles and goes home to her sister in Paris every night. Our cast of supporting characters are both friends of Camille/Cecile, who she becomes in Versailles. Another subplot of the novel involves a Balloon Launch.

This was a hyped book, and I have a feeling I heard about it on this Amino.  I read it because I love Historical Fiction, and I absolutely love Paris. I very much enjoyed Camille as a main character, and what she did for her younger sister. The supporting characters were well rounded and fleshed out, making this a more enjoyable tale to read. This might have a slow start for some, but once the book gets going, the story becomes more and more engrossing to the reader.

Thank you so much for reading! What are some of your favorite Historical Fictions? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top Ten Tuesday- characters that remind me of myself

Welcome back to Top Ten Tuesday! This is a weekly meme where readers discuss ten or whatever number you would like to have based on a prompt. Our host is Jana at  thatartsyreadergirl . Our topic this week is Characters Like Myself. I am going to take a two words that each character has in in my opinion,  and discuss how that relates to me  as well. 1- Cather Avery from Fangirl Writer- At her core, Cath is a writer, and she loves her stories. I am a writer of both Fan Fiction and original stories like Cath so this was an automatic in for this. Both of us love our work and we tend to through ourselves whole hardheartedly into our work. Sisters- I might have mentioned this on the blog before but I have a younger sister and we’re only roughly 18 months a part. Cath and her twin sister Wren are polar  opposites and this is me and my sister. My younger sister is an extrovert and into science. I on the other hand,  am an introverted creative bookworm.  2- Miriam Kendrick from C

Top Ten Tuesday- Favorite Books of the Year Part 1 (12-21)

    Hi! Jana hosts Top Ten Tuesday @ thatartsyreadergirl . The purpose of this meme was to bring the book blogging community together and foster our love of lists. Each week, Jana posts a topic, and we readers respond based on that prompt. This week our topic is a freebie, so I decided to make my list of my top ten reads part one.   Middle Grade 12- Never After by Melissa de la Cruz I'm almost done with this book. It's a duology, and I loved the new twist on fairy tales.    YA 13- Don’t Read the Comments by Eric Smith I read this early in the year and it stuck with me. This YA Contemporary about gaming and the culture of the gaming industry was fantastic.  14- The Book Thief by Markus Zusak It took me years to read this book but I really enjoyed it. I love the unique narrator, the characters, and the story.  15- The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas This is another backlist release. I loved this book, and I knew when I read it that it had the potential to be on this list. I still thi

2019 Book Resolutions Tag!

Hey everyone! So Thursdays on the blog I am going to post a new tag. I think tags are so much fun, and I enjoy the time to reflect on what I’ve read in the past, or what I want to read. Images come from Goodreads. I grabbed the questions from  this blog 1. An author you’d like to read (that you’ve never read before). Leigh Bardugo! I have heard such great things about the Grisha verse, so I want to see if it lives up to all the hype. I have a feeling it will, and I am intrigued by the world. I got the first three books in the series as one large Ebook , so I ’m going to start that next month. I can’t wait to go on the journey and be immersed in a new series!  2. A book you’d like to read. Romanov by Nadine Brandes I love Anastasia and the Romanov family. This looks like such a fantastic retelling. I am drawn in just reading the blurb on Goodreads.  3. A classic you’d like to read. A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett. I’ve had the Barnes and Nobel edition of