Skip to main content

Top Ten Tuesday- Female Squad Goals

Welcome back! It’s the start of another week of memes and blogs here, so as with every week, we will kick off with Top Ten Tuesday. Our host is Jana http://www.thatartsyreadergirl.com/. This was born out of a love of list and bringing the bookish community together. The prompt this week is Characters I want to be Besties with submitted by Michelle at Pink Polka Dot Books. This prompt is so fun and I can’t wait to share this list with you! When coming up with this list, I made my dream group of females I would love to have as a squad. As a note, I’m taking all the women from the classics and Historical Fiction into our time. Enjoy!

1- Cather Avery from Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

This is the moment where everyone gasps. Just kidding, as my favorite YA character Cath needed to be on here. Cath is a bookish introvert so we would really get along. We have a deep love of fandoms and have a love of fan fic. We would spend hours conversing over all things nerdy. In our group, Cath is the person who tells us something is a bad idea or that we could get hurt.

2- Miriam “Mir” Hendrix from Comics Will Break Your Heart by Faith Erin Hicks

Much like Cath, Mir is a shy book worm. While she might not know as much a
bout books, she knows about comics and she is a gem. Mir is a more of an extrovert so we need her in the group, but she needs her own time as well. Mir loves her comics, and I think she could teach the group about comics and about her fandom. Her role in the group is the planner, I see her as the planner because as a character; I feel she writes a lot of things down and sticks to the list.

3- Juliet Ashton from The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Schafer and Annie Barrows

I don’t know why I don’t mention this book more here really I should. Anyway, I read this book last year when the movie came out. Juliet is an awesome character and we need her in our group. She’s a writer and an introvert like some member’s of our group. Since she is a writer Juliet would research and plan the events, our group would do. Much like Mir, but Juliet would put in the time and research because she is that kind of person.

4- Hodel from After Anatevka by Alexandra Silber

My favorite Historical Fiction that I talk a lot about here. Hodel is the extrovert who would pull us introverts out of our shells and make us do things. When I did my family months ago, I’m sure I out her in the same style of role there. Hodel is a young woman who has been thorough a lot, and I’m sure that if she lived in our time, she would have the same issues. As a character, she is very optimistic, and when you look at the group here, you see a lot of moody females, including me. I love Hodel for her spirit and her attitude which is what she brings to the group.
5- Imogen Lovelace from The Princess and the Fangirl by Ashley Poston
Imogen is very sweet and very kind. She has a devotion to fandom as seen when she tries to save her favorite character from being killed off from her favorite series. Mo is so sweet and loyal to friends and family which would be her role in our group here. We need Mo’s sweetness and loyalty and overall goodness in this group.

6- Annabeth Chase from Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan

Oh boy do I love the Percy Jackson series a lot. When I was coming up with this list and my twist on the theme, I knew that Annabeth needed to be here. Annabeth loves adventure and she would be the one that sets up all out door adventurers. I see her texting the group and being like “Hey! Let’s go on a hike today!!!” Those of us introverts groan because you know the outdoors for hours without books. Annabeth has the adventurous spirit we need. She’s also another Extrovert which we need in this sea of Introverts.

7- Natasha “Tash” Zelenka from Tash Hearts Tolstoy by Kathryn Ormsbee

This is a little book that came out in 2017? I think it was 2017. I love Tash as a character and she is so sweet. Tash is ace and while it’s a part of her story, it doesn’t feel like it’s a big deal? I’ve read books where the label becomes a main plot of the story. While I’m okay with this, I want to let you know that the label is not a large part of the story. Tash works on a Web Series based on a classic novel, and I love a good Web Series. I feel every group needs the token gay, and for us it’s Tasha. She is also very loyal.

8- Sonya Rostova from War & Peace by Leo Tolstoy

A classic girl that we need here. I will finish this book by the end of the year, at least that is my plan. Sonya is an introvert and bookish whose loyalty knows no bounds. She has a sweetness and an optimism which is needed. Within our squad here Sonya is the mom friend. She is the one that takes care of all of us and makes sure we’re all doing okay. Do you all know the person who texts the group chat like “remember to drink water and eat today!” That is Sonya in our group and I think I’m in the same boat I feel.

9- Elizabeth Bennett from Pride & Prejudice and The Secret Diary of Lizzie Bennett by Jane Austen and Kate Rodrick and Bernie Su.

When I did my post on INFJ’s a few months ago, Lizzie was on the list. I know there are many takes and so many could work. I love the modern version based on the Web Series, but I picked these two because these are what I’ve read and I want to mix the two. In her original story, Lizzie Is sassy and opinionated. She is a lot of fun and bookish. I find her a bit hard in P&P, I’m okay with it but she just needs to be softer. The more modern version made her softer and humanized her more of which I’m very grateful. In our group Lizzie is the one who tells us about books that are getting published, because in my head she works in a bookstore. This is also me because I follow a lot of blogs and keep up with new releases. Lizzie and I are the ones in the group chat yelling at the group to read x, y, z.

10- Anastasia “Nastya” Romanov from Romanov by Nadine Brandes

Rounding out our squad here is Nastya. This is a Historical Fiction that uses Anastasia Romanov as the main character. In her novel Nastya is a fighter, and she bounces back time and time again. The modern version of her I feel in the same way she bounces back no matter what life throws at her. Nastya is spirited like Hodel and Annabeth, and we need that for our group. In the dynamic she is the one who shows strength no matter what is going on. It’s tough to explain, but no matter what she doesn’t let life get her down.

Comments

  1. I need to finish watching The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society sometime. I saw the first little bit on Netflix and then never got back to it. It does seem like a good story, though!

    My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read most of these, but oh I can relate to your reasoning. xD Being an introvert around extroverts can be difficult, but necessary sometimes lol. Every introvert should have at least one extroverted friend to adopt us. Also, I'm INFJ, too! Woot woot! I agree that Nastya would be fun to hang around. I'd just enjoy pulling little pranks with her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for INFJ's!!!! I feel like us INFJ's particularly need Extroverts and Introverts in our groups.

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad to see Tash on your list! She was such a great character, and I really loved her friends as well. I also adore Elizabeth Bennett and Annabeth Chase, they are fantastic characters. Great list! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tash is a gem and I wish that more people read her book!! Thanks.

      Delete
  4. Yes to Cath. I know she's on a lot of lists and that's just a testament, I think, to what an awesomely relatable character she is. She'd be an awesome friend. :)

    Elizabeth's a great choice too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elizabeth and Annabeth would be such great friends! Great list!

    www.tbrandbeyond.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE THIS SQUAD. Icons. I feel like asking WHERE DO I SEND MY APPLICATION IN TO JOIN THIS SQUAD because, yes! So many good characters. Great picks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww, yes I love Cath too. I also love Reagan from that book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent choices! Cath and Annabeth are a couple of my favorites. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Top Ten Tuesday- characters that remind me of myself

Welcome back to Top Ten Tuesday! This is a weekly meme where readers discuss ten or whatever number you would like to have based on a prompt. Our host is Jana at  thatartsyreadergirl . Our topic this week is Characters Like Myself. I am going to take a two words that each character has in in my opinion,  and discuss how that relates to me  as well. 1- Cather Avery from Fangirl Writer- At her core, Cath is a writer, and she loves her stories. I am a writer of both Fan Fiction and original stories like Cath so this was an automatic in for this. Both of us love our work and we tend to through ourselves whole hardheartedly into our work. Sisters- I might have mentioned this on the blog before but I have a younger sister and we’re only roughly 18 months a part. Cath and her twin sister Wren are polar  opposites and this is me and my sister. My younger sister is an extrovert and into science. I on the other hand,  am an introverted creative bookworm.  2- Miriam Kendrick from C

Top Ten Tuesday- Favorite Books of the Year Part 1 (12-21)

    Hi! Jana hosts Top Ten Tuesday @ thatartsyreadergirl . The purpose of this meme was to bring the book blogging community together and foster our love of lists. Each week, Jana posts a topic, and we readers respond based on that prompt. This week our topic is a freebie, so I decided to make my list of my top ten reads part one.   Middle Grade 12- Never After by Melissa de la Cruz I'm almost done with this book. It's a duology, and I loved the new twist on fairy tales.    YA 13- Don’t Read the Comments by Eric Smith I read this early in the year and it stuck with me. This YA Contemporary about gaming and the culture of the gaming industry was fantastic.  14- The Book Thief by Markus Zusak It took me years to read this book but I really enjoyed it. I love the unique narrator, the characters, and the story.  15- The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas This is another backlist release. I loved this book, and I knew when I read it that it had the potential to be on this list. I still thi

2019 Book Resolutions Tag!

Hey everyone! So Thursdays on the blog I am going to post a new tag. I think tags are so much fun, and I enjoy the time to reflect on what I’ve read in the past, or what I want to read. Images come from Goodreads. I grabbed the questions from  this blog 1. An author you’d like to read (that you’ve never read before). Leigh Bardugo! I have heard such great things about the Grisha verse, so I want to see if it lives up to all the hype. I have a feeling it will, and I am intrigued by the world. I got the first three books in the series as one large Ebook , so I ’m going to start that next month. I can’t wait to go on the journey and be immersed in a new series!  2. A book you’d like to read. Romanov by Nadine Brandes I love Anastasia and the Romanov family. This looks like such a fantastic retelling. I am drawn in just reading the blurb on Goodreads.  3. A classic you’d like to read. A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett. I’ve had the Barnes and Nobel edition of