Skip to main content

You Have A Match (Review)



 

Title: You Have A Match

Author: Emma Lord

Genre: YA, Contemporary

Rep: WLW, Filipino supporting character, Adoption 

Release Date: January 12th, 2021

Rating: ***** (5 Stars)  

 

Overview

You Have A Match is the second novel I’ve read by Emma Lord. After reading and loving Tweet Cute last year, I knew that I would need to read this book as well. Overall, I enjoyed this book, and I gave it five stars.

Plot

One of the key elements of this and one of the reasons I loved the novel so much. The story started with Abby taking a DNA test to support her friend Leo. Little did Abby know that the test would say that she had a sister named Savvy that she never knew about because she was given up for adoption, a year and a half before Abby was born. Similar to The Parent Trap, most of this story took place at a summer camp, and we had the sisters get to know each other. As the story unravels, we find out about what led to Savannah being adopted, and how her birth parents knew her adopted parents. I loved seeing how the parents interacted as the novel progressed, and the end of the novel was so sweet to me. This was also a novel about friendship with Abby’s cabin mates, and Finn, the boy she met at Camp. The final plot element that made this book a hit for me was the romance. Abby and her best friend Leo start to date in the book, and again, the end was very sweet. Savvy has a friend named Mickey, and the two of them start the sweetest romance which I loved.

Characters

If you’ve been following this blog for a while, you know that I love a character-driven novel, and I need details about the characters. Emma Lord has a way of creating characters that seem so real, and ones that you want to befriend. My favorite character in this book was Abby because she was had a passion for photography, and I loved seeing how much she loved her photography and her connection to her grandfather.   Savvy was another fantastic character in this novel because she was so sweet and she cared about others, and she just wanted to see her friends and sister happy.  Emma Lord has a way of creating characters that are raw, and their flaws are at the center of each story.

Writing

The writing in this novel is one of the best things about reading it. Emma Lord has a way of writing a contemporary novel that you want to get lost in. This novel is easy to read, and a story that is interesting, part of that is due to the way the book is written. I love the writing in this book because I wanted to see what was going to happen next. I believe Emma Lord is one of the best voices in YA Contemporary today, and part of that is how she writes a book. 

Other

I mentioned it before when I was talking about characters, but the family aspect of this novel was delightful. I loved seeing the interactions between Abby and Savvy; they didn’t know each other, and they’re polar opposites, and yet, they still have a way of bonding as the story starts, and as the novel progresses, we see them bond even more, as the two characters find a common interest. The other family aspect was the relationship between Abby’s Parents and Savvy’s adopted parents. I loved seeing the back story with these characters; and how they opened their own store. The end of the book wrapped up nicely because they all had made their dream of owning a store come true, and it was a store that had remained in the family. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top Ten Tuesday- characters that remind me of myself

Welcome back to Top Ten Tuesday! This is a weekly meme where readers discuss ten or whatever number you would like to have based on a prompt. Our host is Jana at  thatartsyreadergirl . Our topic this week is Characters Like Myself. I am going to take a two words that each character has in in my opinion,  and discuss how that relates to me  as well. 1- Cather Avery from Fangirl Writer- At her core, Cath is a writer, and she loves her stories. I am a writer of both Fan Fiction and original stories like Cath so this was an automatic in for this. Both of us love our work and we tend to through ourselves whole hardheartedly into our work. Sisters- I might have mentioned this on the blog before but I have a younger sister and we’re only roughly 18 months a part. Cath and her twin sister Wren are polar  opposites and this is me and my sister. My younger sister is an extrovert and into science. I on the other hand,  am an introverted creative bookworm.  2- Miriam Kendrick from C

Top Ten Tuesday- Favorite Books of the Year Part 1 (12-21)

    Hi! Jana hosts Top Ten Tuesday @ thatartsyreadergirl . The purpose of this meme was to bring the book blogging community together and foster our love of lists. Each week, Jana posts a topic, and we readers respond based on that prompt. This week our topic is a freebie, so I decided to make my list of my top ten reads part one.   Middle Grade 12- Never After by Melissa de la Cruz I'm almost done with this book. It's a duology, and I loved the new twist on fairy tales.    YA 13- Don’t Read the Comments by Eric Smith I read this early in the year and it stuck with me. This YA Contemporary about gaming and the culture of the gaming industry was fantastic.  14- The Book Thief by Markus Zusak It took me years to read this book but I really enjoyed it. I love the unique narrator, the characters, and the story.  15- The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas This is another backlist release. I loved this book, and I knew when I read it that it had the potential to be on this list. I still thi

2019 Book Resolutions Tag!

Hey everyone! So Thursdays on the blog I am going to post a new tag. I think tags are so much fun, and I enjoy the time to reflect on what I’ve read in the past, or what I want to read. Images come from Goodreads. I grabbed the questions from  this blog 1. An author you’d like to read (that you’ve never read before). Leigh Bardugo! I have heard such great things about the Grisha verse, so I want to see if it lives up to all the hype. I have a feeling it will, and I am intrigued by the world. I got the first three books in the series as one large Ebook , so I ’m going to start that next month. I can’t wait to go on the journey and be immersed in a new series!  2. A book you’d like to read. Romanov by Nadine Brandes I love Anastasia and the Romanov family. This looks like such a fantastic retelling. I am drawn in just reading the blurb on Goodreads.  3. A classic you’d like to read. A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett. I’ve had the Barnes and Nobel edition of