Skip to main content

Rule of Threes by Marcy Campbell (E-Arc Review)



Hi! I saw this book on Net Galley Read Now a few months ago, and I grabbed it because it seemed like a fun Middle-Grade novel. I’m glad I decided to take the plunge and grab this because I had such a fun time reading this.

 Title: Rule of Threes

Author: Marcy Campbell

Genre: Middle-Grade, Contemporary 

Add to Storygraph: https://app.thestorygraph.com/books/fc4ee058-b834-44c5-8c35-2ac201a4db47



Characters

 

This book had wonderful and complex characters, which is why I gave it the first star. If you know me, you know that I prefer to read character-driven novels as opposed to plot-based ones. I loved the characters in this book because like the world they were living in, they were raw and real. I would call this book middle grade because the characters had personalities that kids of that age group tend to have. The principal character Maggie was sweet, and she had a passion for design, which I loved to see. Her half-brother Tony was a guy who wanted what was best for his mother, and he wanted to help her as much as he could. Olive was one of Maggie’s best friends who was sweet and helped around the house with her little brother, which I thought was very sweet. Rachel is Maggie’s other friend, and these two really go on a journey in the book, I don’t want to spoil the book for you, because the ending for these two was beautiful, but Rachel was closed off at times, due to what was happening at home.

 

Plot

 

This novel has layers and layers of plot. The plot kept me wanting to read further to find out what was going to happen, and see how the story was going to pan out, so I gave a star. On the surface, this is a story about finding yourself and finding that everyone has a past, you might not know about. As the story moves on we see that this is also a story about not knowing what is going on in someone’s life and learning to give people space. Themes of Alzheimer’s, old age, and addiction were also discussed. Maggie finds out she has a brother she never knew about, and that only a few years earlier, her mother had found out about Tony. Maggie not only expands on her passion for design, but she finds a relationship with Tony, and with herself that I thought was very sweet. Rachel, Maggie’s friend, and Tony’s girlfriend’s parents are having a tough time, and this is why she was distant with Maggie and Olive over the course of the novel. Maggie’s grandmother has Alzheimer’s and at different parts in the novel, Maggie’s grandmother didn’t know who people were and didn’t remember things.

 

Writing

 

The writing and tone of this book matched the genre and story the book was made for. The writing style was simple to read and easy for any middle-grade reader or adult to follow. During the lighter, or scenes that were more fun, the tone was light to match what was going on in the scene. Contrary to that, during the serious scenes, or scenes dealing with heavier topics, the tone was darker to match the mood of the scene. I thought the writing helped the flow of the story and helped you get to know what the characters were thinking and feeling.

 

Setting

 

Setting always plays a big part in a story for me, so I wanted to add a star to my review for the setting. I want to taken to where the story takes place and Rules of Three took me to where Maggie lived. From the time spent at school and seeing all the different rooms, and all the workers there to the home where Maggie lived I felt transported to her world.

 

Personal Enjoyment

 

I loved reading this book, and so I wanted to give it a star in my review. The story had me laughing during the funny parts and feeling emotional during the more serious parts. Rule of Threes is a delight, and I hope others enjoy this book as much as I did.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top Ten Tuesday- characters that remind me of myself

Welcome back to Top Ten Tuesday! This is a weekly meme where readers discuss ten or whatever number you would like to have based on a prompt. Our host is Jana at  thatartsyreadergirl . Our topic this week is Characters Like Myself. I am going to take a two words that each character has in in my opinion,  and discuss how that relates to me  as well. 1- Cather Avery from Fangirl Writer- At her core, Cath is a writer, and she loves her stories. I am a writer of both Fan Fiction and original stories like Cath so this was an automatic in for this. Both of us love our work and we tend to through ourselves whole hardheartedly into our work. Sisters- I might have mentioned this on the blog before but I have a younger sister and we’re only roughly 18 months a part. Cath and her twin sister Wren are polar  opposites and this is me and my sister. My younger sister is an extrovert and into science. I on the other hand,  am an introverted creative bookworm.  2- Miriam Kendrick from C

Top Ten Tuesday- Favorite Books of the Year Part 1 (12-21)

    Hi! Jana hosts Top Ten Tuesday @ thatartsyreadergirl . The purpose of this meme was to bring the book blogging community together and foster our love of lists. Each week, Jana posts a topic, and we readers respond based on that prompt. This week our topic is a freebie, so I decided to make my list of my top ten reads part one.   Middle Grade 12- Never After by Melissa de la Cruz I'm almost done with this book. It's a duology, and I loved the new twist on fairy tales.    YA 13- Don’t Read the Comments by Eric Smith I read this early in the year and it stuck with me. This YA Contemporary about gaming and the culture of the gaming industry was fantastic.  14- The Book Thief by Markus Zusak It took me years to read this book but I really enjoyed it. I love the unique narrator, the characters, and the story.  15- The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas This is another backlist release. I loved this book, and I knew when I read it that it had the potential to be on this list. I still thi

2019 Book Resolutions Tag!

Hey everyone! So Thursdays on the blog I am going to post a new tag. I think tags are so much fun, and I enjoy the time to reflect on what I’ve read in the past, or what I want to read. Images come from Goodreads. I grabbed the questions from  this blog 1. An author you’d like to read (that you’ve never read before). Leigh Bardugo! I have heard such great things about the Grisha verse, so I want to see if it lives up to all the hype. I have a feeling it will, and I am intrigued by the world. I got the first three books in the series as one large Ebook , so I ’m going to start that next month. I can’t wait to go on the journey and be immersed in a new series!  2. A book you’d like to read. Romanov by Nadine Brandes I love Anastasia and the Romanov family. This looks like such a fantastic retelling. I am drawn in just reading the blurb on Goodreads.  3. A classic you’d like to read. A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett. I’ve had the Barnes and Nobel edition of