Skip to main content

Can't Wait Wednesday -Orpheus Girl


Hello! As you know on Wednesday's on the blog I do Can't Wait Wednesday. This  meme is hosted by Tressa @wishfulendings. Formally, this meme was Waiting On Wednesday hosted by Jill @breakingthespine. The purpose of this meme  is to feature a book usually unpublished that we are excited for. This week, I am featuring Orpehus Girl by Brynne Rebele - Henry. Information for Goodreads.

41118351. sy475

Title Orpheus Girl

Author- Brynne Rebele - Henry

Expected Publication October 8th 2019 by SoHo Teen

Summary
"Abandoned by a single mother she never knew, 16-year-old Raya—obsessed with ancient myths—lives with her grandmother in a small conservative Texas town. For years Raya has been forced to hide her feelings for her best friend and true love, Sarah. When the two are outed, they are sent to Friendly Saviors: a re-education camp meant to “fix” them and make them heterosexual. Upon arrival, Raya vows to assume the mythic role of Orpheus to escape Friendly Saviors, and to return to the world of the living with her love—only becoming more determined after she, Sarah, and Friendly Saviors' other teen residents are subjected to abusive "treatments" by the staff.

In a haunting voice reminiscent of Sylvia Plath, with the contemporary lyricism of David Levithan, Brynne Rebele-Henry weaves a powerful inversion of the Orpheus myth informed by the real-world truths of conversion therapy. Orpheus Girl is a mythic story of dysfunctional families, trauma, first love, heartbreak, and ultimately, the fierce adolescent resilience that has the power to triumph over darkness and ignorance. 

CW: There are scenes in this book that depict self-harm, homophobia, transphobia, and violence against LGBTQ characters."

I want to read this novel because I enjoy the myth of Orpheus and Eurydice and mythology  in general. I also enjoy a great LGBTQ+ story, and despite the warnings at the bottom, I think this will be a fantastic one. This novel will probably bring me all of the emotions from happiness, sadness, anger, and heartbreak but I am ready. 

Comments

  1. This does sound fantastic! I agree, it sounds like it will be an emotional read that will bring out all the emotions. I will definitely be adding this to my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this sounds like a powerful read, and an Orpheus/ Eurydice retelling? Cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes as far as I can tell it is an Orpheus and Eurydice retelling.

      Delete
  3. This sounds like it'll have some tough parts emotionally. I hope you enjoy it!

    Tressa @ Wishful Endings

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that this is inspired by the Orpheus myth, I love that one also! This sounds like a great read, I hope you enjoy it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been seeing this on a lot of lists. Hope you enjoy it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds great. The cover is quite different from all the others, but I somehow like it. Thanks for sharing this with us and happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, pretty sure I've not seen an Orpheus retelling before. This sounds great and definitely like it will be an emotional read. I hope you love it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Top Ten Tuesday- characters that remind me of myself

Welcome back to Top Ten Tuesday! This is a weekly meme where readers discuss ten or whatever number you would like to have based on a prompt. Our host is Jana at  thatartsyreadergirl . Our topic this week is Characters Like Myself. I am going to take a two words that each character has in in my opinion,  and discuss how that relates to me  as well. 1- Cather Avery from Fangirl Writer- At her core, Cath is a writer, and she loves her stories. I am a writer of both Fan Fiction and original stories like Cath so this was an automatic in for this. Both of us love our work and we tend to through ourselves whole hardheartedly into our work. Sisters- I might have mentioned this on the blog before but I have a younger sister and we’re only roughly 18 months a part. Cath and her twin sister Wren are polar  opposites and this is me and my sister. My younger sister is an extrovert and into science. I on the other hand,  am an introverted creative bookworm.  2- Miriam Kendrick from C

Top Ten Tuesday- Favorite Books of the Year Part 1 (12-21)

    Hi! Jana hosts Top Ten Tuesday @ thatartsyreadergirl . The purpose of this meme was to bring the book blogging community together and foster our love of lists. Each week, Jana posts a topic, and we readers respond based on that prompt. This week our topic is a freebie, so I decided to make my list of my top ten reads part one.   Middle Grade 12- Never After by Melissa de la Cruz I'm almost done with this book. It's a duology, and I loved the new twist on fairy tales.    YA 13- Don’t Read the Comments by Eric Smith I read this early in the year and it stuck with me. This YA Contemporary about gaming and the culture of the gaming industry was fantastic.  14- The Book Thief by Markus Zusak It took me years to read this book but I really enjoyed it. I love the unique narrator, the characters, and the story.  15- The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas This is another backlist release. I loved this book, and I knew when I read it that it had the potential to be on this list. I still thi

2019 Book Resolutions Tag!

Hey everyone! So Thursdays on the blog I am going to post a new tag. I think tags are so much fun, and I enjoy the time to reflect on what I’ve read in the past, or what I want to read. Images come from Goodreads. I grabbed the questions from  this blog 1. An author you’d like to read (that you’ve never read before). Leigh Bardugo! I have heard such great things about the Grisha verse, so I want to see if it lives up to all the hype. I have a feeling it will, and I am intrigued by the world. I got the first three books in the series as one large Ebook , so I ’m going to start that next month. I can’t wait to go on the journey and be immersed in a new series!  2. A book you’d like to read. Romanov by Nadine Brandes I love Anastasia and the Romanov family. This looks like such a fantastic retelling. I am drawn in just reading the blurb on Goodreads.  3. A classic you’d like to read. A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett. I’ve had the Barnes and Nobel edition of