Skip to main content

June Wrap Up

Hello! This being July 1st I wanted to write up my June Wrap up so I can start a new month of books. I only finished 3 books, but one of them was left over from May, also, I am happy with how June went for me.

Favorite Read of the Month- To Kill A Kingdom

Books read start to finish- To Kill A Kingdom and All That She Can See.

Books continued Daisy Jones and the Six

To Kill A Kingdom by Alexandra Christo  5 stars

I really enjoyed this story and it was just what I wanted in a Dark The Little Mermaid retelling. The characters are compelling and the story is unique. 

Plot 5/5

What makes this story for me is the twist on The Little Mermaid. We all know the story where Prince Eric needs to save Ariel, in this story the Siren needs to save her prince. The twists and turns of the plot are intriguing and will keep you reading to see where the plot takes you next. 

Characters 5/5

Characters are key to any good story right? These characters are so much fun and I really enjoyed getting to know them. The characters are sweet and yet there is an edge to them, especially Lira and Elian. 

Writing 5/5
As with any retelling you want a book that you will want to keep reading and for this book the writing was what kept me going. The writing is fantastic and Christo is a fantastic storyteller. 

Pace 4.8/5

I didn't want to take any stars away as Goodreads uses the half star system. The pacing in this novel was mostly fantastic, but there are some places towards the end which I feel could be told a little faster. It didn't take away from my enjoyment of the book but I still wished I could have pushed those pages a bit more.

All That She Can See by Carrie Hope Fletcher 4 stars on Goodreads 

4.5 The one part that I thought was odd was how this book switches genre's with almost no warning about 70% of the way though the book. 

Characters 5/5

I loved Chase and Cherry I thought they were so sweet as a couple. They might not have started out as a couple, but they ended up being very cute. I didn't love Chase's mother or his aunt, but I understand why they were there, the same goes for the characters that were The Guild. 

Story 4.5/5

I enjoyed the story, but I wanted to know when we were going to switch genre's from a light fluffy romance to a heavy dystopian sort of a setting. Some readers might have liked this, and once I got used to the change, I was enjoying the story, but it was so much of a change. 

Writing 5/5

This was my first time reading this authors fiction and I think she is a fantastic writer! I will definitely be reading more of her books. 

Pace 5/5

The story had such a steady pace,  and I loved that. The light scenes were fast and the more dramatic and emotional scenes were just that.


Daisy Jones and the Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid 5 stars

Overall 5/5 stars. As a fan of music I was here for a story about a band and there adventurers. I enjoyed these characters mostly; I was well past halfway through the book before I started liking the main character Billy Dune. By the end of the book I saw where he was coming from more and I enjoyed him more as a character.

Style 4.5/5

I wanted to put a bit about the style of this book. I was not a fan of it, and by the middle of the book I felt like I was just pushing thorough some sections to get to get to the next part. This was a mere case of the style of this book didn't work for me, but I could not see this story being told any other way. The style didn't take away from my enjoyment of the plot or the characters.

Plot 5/5

This was a story that was a drama on top of drama on top of more drama. For a story about a band I was expecting nothing less, so I knew going it that it would probably have a lot of drama found in it. Yes, the plot is dramatic, but it's also a real story about what needs to be told about the music business. This was the highs and lows of band just as any band would have highs and lows. There is a twist near the end of the book that I was not expecting, but having seen the same thing in The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo, I should have seen it coming.

Characters 5/5

These characters had so much going on in their lives, I thought they could all use a vacation. The characters are dramatic and I was very much here for the drama in them. I enjoyed the story that these characters told.

Writing 5/5

Taylor Jenkins Reid is a new favorite author of mine and it is because of the way that she writes her stories. Her books are a delight to read and I will definitely be reading more from her. The main thing I love about Taylor's writing is that she writes about these celebrities but they are real and they are relatable.

Pace 5/5

The pace of this story was excellent. The moments when the band was performing were fast paced as they should have been because it was a concert. The other moments were slow and dramatic just as they should have been because of how much was happening in the story.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top Ten Tuesday- characters that remind me of myself

Welcome back to Top Ten Tuesday! This is a weekly meme where readers discuss ten or whatever number you would like to have based on a prompt. Our host is Jana at  thatartsyreadergirl . Our topic this week is Characters Like Myself. I am going to take a two words that each character has in in my opinion,  and discuss how that relates to me  as well. 1- Cather Avery from Fangirl Writer- At her core, Cath is a writer, and she loves her stories. I am a writer of both Fan Fiction and original stories like Cath so this was an automatic in for this. Both of us love our work and we tend to through ourselves whole hardheartedly into our work. Sisters- I might have mentioned this on the blog before but I have a younger sister and we’re only roughly 18 months a part. Cath and her twin sister Wren are polar  opposites and this is me and my sister. My younger sister is an extrovert and into science. I on the other hand,  am an introverted creative bookworm.  2- Miriam Kendrick from C

Top Ten Tuesday- Favorite Books of the Year Part 1 (12-21)

    Hi! Jana hosts Top Ten Tuesday @ thatartsyreadergirl . The purpose of this meme was to bring the book blogging community together and foster our love of lists. Each week, Jana posts a topic, and we readers respond based on that prompt. This week our topic is a freebie, so I decided to make my list of my top ten reads part one.   Middle Grade 12- Never After by Melissa de la Cruz I'm almost done with this book. It's a duology, and I loved the new twist on fairy tales.    YA 13- Don’t Read the Comments by Eric Smith I read this early in the year and it stuck with me. This YA Contemporary about gaming and the culture of the gaming industry was fantastic.  14- The Book Thief by Markus Zusak It took me years to read this book but I really enjoyed it. I love the unique narrator, the characters, and the story.  15- The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas This is another backlist release. I loved this book, and I knew when I read it that it had the potential to be on this list. I still thi

2019 Book Resolutions Tag!

Hey everyone! So Thursdays on the blog I am going to post a new tag. I think tags are so much fun, and I enjoy the time to reflect on what I’ve read in the past, or what I want to read. Images come from Goodreads. I grabbed the questions from  this blog 1. An author you’d like to read (that you’ve never read before). Leigh Bardugo! I have heard such great things about the Grisha verse, so I want to see if it lives up to all the hype. I have a feeling it will, and I am intrigued by the world. I got the first three books in the series as one large Ebook , so I ’m going to start that next month. I can’t wait to go on the journey and be immersed in a new series!  2. A book you’d like to read. Romanov by Nadine Brandes I love Anastasia and the Romanov family. This looks like such a fantastic retelling. I am drawn in just reading the blurb on Goodreads.  3. A classic you’d like to read. A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett. I’ve had the Barnes and Nobel edition of