Skip to main content

The 2019 Mid Year Freak Out Booktag

Hi! I saw so many people do this and I wanted to join in on the fun! I know it's a little past the half way point, but I still wanted to upload this booktag.

What is the best book that you’ve read so far in 2019?

This question is never easy. I have read many great 5 star reads so far. The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid. If you know anything about this book, you probably know why it was my favorite so far. I followed the hype on this book, and this novel is so worth the hype. I was feeling all the emotions at once. This was my first time reading Taylor Jenkins Reid, however, I was reading Daisy Jones and the Six at the same time. I still preferred the characters and the story of this novel.

What has been your favourite sequel of the first half of the year?

I’ve only read two sequel’s this year so far and one stands out as more of a favorite. My favorite sequel was The Wicked King by Holly Black. I know that some fans didn’t love The Cruel Prince but enjoyed The Wicked King more. I’m in the camp that loved The Cruel Prince, so I loved this book as well. I loved seeing how the plot continued and see how the characters grew and changed from the first to the second book.

Is there a new release that you haven’t read yet but you’re really excited for?

A Curse So Dark and Lonely. I go it when it was on Kindle sale when I get around to it I’ll read it. Reviews from this book seem positive and many book bloggers I follow have enjoyed the novel. Another is The Bookish Life of Nina Hill I don’t have a copy of this novel yet, but it seems like a fantastic book.

What is your most anticipated release for the second half of the year?

Most anticipated? Oy. A Starless Sea by Erin Morgenstern because I have been waiting a few years for her to release another book. She is one of my favorite authors and I just can’t wait to see what that book brings.

What is your biggest disappointment so far?

A Map of Days (Miss Peregrine’s Home For Peculiar Children # 4) by Ransom Riggs. I reviewed this book where I laid out all my complaints and honestly there were two major issues and a few small issues with this book. The first was that half the Peculiar children weren’t in the book all that much, and if the rest of the series is like this, I don’t understand why he didn’t just write a spin-off series not a continuation. My other glaring fault was that this book felt like two different stories that didn’t connect with the other one. I will continue the series as I loved the first three, but god this book was such a letdown for me.

What is your biggest surprise so far?

Comics Will Break Your Heart by Faith Erin Hicks. I saw this book on a list somewhere or the Book Riot roundup the day it came out. I ended up getting the Ebook because I saw the synopsis and it intrigued me. When something says it has a Romeo and Juliet trope, I need to read it for myself. This book was fantastic and was one of my first top reads of the year. What I thought would be a passable 3 or 4 star read was an over top 5 star read. Anyone who likes geek culture should read this book.

Who is your favourite new to you, or debut, author?

I already used Taylor Jenkins Reid so using her again feel like a copout. I’ll do four because I’ve very indecisive. Fave new to me-Taylor Jenkins Reid (Daisy Jones and the Six, The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo), Holly Black (The Cruel Prince and The Wicked King), Carrie Hope Fletcher (All I Know Now, and All That She Can See). Debut- Faith Erin Hicks (Comics Will Break Your Heart). Honorable mentions- debut- Gita Trelease (Enchantee), a new favorite- Nadine Brandes (Romanov).

Who is your favourite fictional crush from this year?

Hm. I have to give this one to Weldon from Comics Will Break Your Heart or Darien from Geekerella and The Princess and the Fangirl. I have not read a lot of adult books this year as I stick with my YA. Both Weldon and Darien are a lot alike because they’re nerds and proud to be nerds. Also, both guys have a lot of heart and are very much intellectuals. I prefer the nerdy bookish types for crushes.

Who is your new favourite character?

Imogen “Mo” Lovelace from The Princess and the Fangirl. I loved her because she is relatable to me because I am also very devoted to my fandoms. Also, I would say she is an introverted intellectual like myself.

A book that made you cry?

I don’t want to use Evelyn Hugo again because I already used that, but know that I was very much crying while reading this book. Romanov by Nadine Brandes. I know mentioned this book above, but oh my goodness this book wrecked me. The crying in this book was more of situations the characters were in and the characters as opposed to emotions the book left me. The characters in this book were fantastic and were being out into situations that pushed them to their limits.

A book that made you happy?

What If It’s Us by Becky Albertalli and Adam Silvera. This meet cute about two gay teenagers who meet in a post office and then are torn  a part by a flash mob proposal. I don’t want to spoil the book but this novel was some of the cutest romance I’ve read this year so far. Also, I really enjoyed the deep cut Musical Theater references.

Your favourite book to movie/ TV show that you’ve seen so far?

I honestly can’t say I’ve seen one. I watched Crazy Rich Asians a few times, and I think that might be the only one? Some are coming out that look great so I’ll probably see those, eventually. I don’t get to the movies all that often.

What is your favourite post that you’ve written so far this year?

My Top Ten Tuesday post where I wrote about characters that I would want as my family. I pour a lot into my blog and my posts, that one I felt I put extra into because I wanted to make sure it was great. Book review wise my favorite post was my review of The Princess and the Fangirl because I could gather everything I loved about the novel and form my thoughts coherently.

What is the most beautiful book that you have bought?

I know I already used this but I have to say Romanov. The cover is gorgeous and perfect for the book.

What are 6 books that you want to read by the end of the year?
Only six? I wrote a Top Ten Tuesday about ten books I need to read before the end of the year so there is some crossover here.
1- Wayward Son by Rainbow Rowell- it’s Simon and Baz how can I not want to read this when it’s released.
2- Queen of Nothing by Holly Black- I am ready for this trilogy to break me in the final book.
3- Orpheus Girl- should I wait til next Pride month to read this because of the rep? Probably. Will I be pre ordering this so I have it the day of release? Absolutely! Also, it comes out during my birth month so I feel I should treat myself during my birthday month.
4- Twisted Tales- A Whole New World- I have the kindle version of this and I want to read it because there is a Frozen one coming out.
5- Pumpkin Heads by Rainbow Rowell and Faith Erin Hicks- I need to read more graphic novels and this one seems perfect.
6- The Grisha Trilogy- I know I know I keep telling you guys I will start these. I promise before the end of the year, I will at least read the first books.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Top Ten Tuesday- characters that remind me of myself

Welcome back to Top Ten Tuesday! This is a weekly meme where readers discuss ten or whatever number you would like to have based on a prompt. Our host is Jana at  thatartsyreadergirl . Our topic this week is Characters Like Myself. I am going to take a two words that each character has in in my opinion,  and discuss how that relates to me  as well. 1- Cather Avery from Fangirl Writer- At her core, Cath is a writer, and she loves her stories. I am a writer of both Fan Fiction and original stories like Cath so this was an automatic in for this. Both of us love our work and we tend to through ourselves whole hardheartedly into our work. Sisters- I might have mentioned this on the blog before but I have a younger sister and we’re only roughly 18 months a part. Cath and her twin sister Wren are polar  opposites and this is me and my sister. My younger sister is an extrovert and into science. I on the other hand,  am an introverted creative bookworm.  2- Miriam Kendrick from C

Top Ten Tuesday- Favorite Books of the Year Part 1 (12-21)

    Hi! Jana hosts Top Ten Tuesday @ thatartsyreadergirl . The purpose of this meme was to bring the book blogging community together and foster our love of lists. Each week, Jana posts a topic, and we readers respond based on that prompt. This week our topic is a freebie, so I decided to make my list of my top ten reads part one.   Middle Grade 12- Never After by Melissa de la Cruz I'm almost done with this book. It's a duology, and I loved the new twist on fairy tales.    YA 13- Don’t Read the Comments by Eric Smith I read this early in the year and it stuck with me. This YA Contemporary about gaming and the culture of the gaming industry was fantastic.  14- The Book Thief by Markus Zusak It took me years to read this book but I really enjoyed it. I love the unique narrator, the characters, and the story.  15- The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas This is another backlist release. I loved this book, and I knew when I read it that it had the potential to be on this list. I still thi

2019 Book Resolutions Tag!

Hey everyone! So Thursdays on the blog I am going to post a new tag. I think tags are so much fun, and I enjoy the time to reflect on what I’ve read in the past, or what I want to read. Images come from Goodreads. I grabbed the questions from  this blog 1. An author you’d like to read (that you’ve never read before). Leigh Bardugo! I have heard such great things about the Grisha verse, so I want to see if it lives up to all the hype. I have a feeling it will, and I am intrigued by the world. I got the first three books in the series as one large Ebook , so I ’m going to start that next month. I can’t wait to go on the journey and be immersed in a new series!  2. A book you’d like to read. Romanov by Nadine Brandes I love Anastasia and the Romanov family. This looks like such a fantastic retelling. I am drawn in just reading the blurb on Goodreads.  3. A classic you’d like to read. A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett. I’ve had the Barnes and Nobel edition of