Skip to main content

Top Ten Tuesday -First Ten Books I reviewed


Welcome back! I know I'm late with this post but I wanted to out something up because I enjoyed the topic. As always, our host for this weekly meme is Jana at thatartsyreadergirl. Formally they hosted the meme on brokeandbookish. The topic of first  ten Books you reviewed even if was only a few sentences was suggested by  Rissi@Findingwonderland

The books  and reviews this week come from Goodreads.


1- Little Women by Louisa May Alcott



Date reviewed-January 28th, 2016


Rating- 5 stars

This was a book that I read for an English Lit class in college, I needed a book for a term paper and wanted to read a book by a female author. I loved this book, and I would call it one of the best books I have ever read


2- Allegiant by Veronica Roth



Date reviewed- February 8th, 2016  


Rating- 3 stars

I was so iffy on this book, like the narrative changing because of who was narrating the book every chapter drove me nuts. I had to keep remembering to check because if I didn't then I would not know whose part of the story was being told. Other than that I did love this book. 

3- Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me by Mindy Kaling


Date reviewed- February 20th, 2016

Rating -4 stars

I read this book for a book club in under a month, and I was a little skeptical about this book because I was not sure how I would feel about it. I did not know much about Mindy Kaling before reading this book, but I really did love this book. I loved everything about this book to the stories that she told, and her writing style throughout the book. This was a fun read, and I am so happy that this was the first book that was picked for the book club. 


4- Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe  by Benjamin Sáenz


Date reviewed- March 14th 2016  

Rating- 5 stars

I really liked this book from the start, I have not heard of this book before and it was for allbookedupclub in March. I would not have picked up this book, if I saw it I might have but I would not have sought out to find this book. I really loved how the two boys met, and how it seemed like it was kind of an accident, but it was more like fate that the two of them met. They both got along so well, and it seemed like they were each other’s first real friends that they could trust. I think that the boys met at a time in their lives when they really needed each other the most, and when they just needed someone that they could talk to about things. I think that the two boys bring out the best qualities in each other, and this wouldn’t have happened if they hadn’t met the one day at the pool. They talk to each other in a way that they feel like they couldn’t talk to other people, and they open up to each other. When Dante will leave to a year, I think that Ari feels sad he will not voice this because I feel that he does not talk about his emotions. Ari saves Dante’s life, and I think that he might not have done that if someone else was in the same situation. I feel that after the accident Ari is happy, and he is opening up to other people. I think that Ari is not sure if he will write to Dante because he is not the best with emotions or feelings. I feel that the book had a happy ending when Dante and Ari were reunited, and I feel that this was the best way to end the story them continuing on life’s journey together.


5- The Epic Adventures of Lydia Bennett by Bernie Su and Kate Rodrick.


Date reviewed- March 30th, 2016

Rating- 5 stars

Full review coming soon, but if you watched either TLBD, read the Lizzie book, or love P&P read this book!!!! It's a lot of fun, and it talks about some real issues that Lydia is going through. I've never loved her, I've always loved Lizzie and Jane more even on the webseries, but here she was given a voice and a story to tell. Spoiler alert- three years later I still have not made a formal review for this. I might have to reread. 

6-  Paper Towns by John Green


Date reviewed- April 25th 2016

Rating- 4 stars

I started this book right before I saw the movie, and while the movie had its difficulties I wish that they had kept the ending of the book rather than a different one that they wrote. I really liked this book, and I love everything that John Green writes. I just really love how he writes. Full review coming soon. Again over three years later I have not done a full review of this novel. Perhaps I will reread it and review that. 


7- Loving Eleanor by Susan Wittig Albert


Date reviewed- May 12th, 2016

Rating- 4 stars

Loving Eleanor was a book that I would call a different kind of book. It was the kind of book that was a novel, but it was about people that really existed so it was about history and the author adding things to make it more of a novel. I’ve always loved history, but this was the first history novel that I’ve read, and being one of the first adult novels meaning not classified as young adult novels that I’ve read. I got this book as a trail read before the book came out, but I really loved this book and I am so happy that I could read it. From the start of the first chapter, I was not sorry that I picked this book to read, as it talked about events that I hadn’t even heard of. The other thing that drew me to the book, was that the main character was a journalist, and I have always favored characters and people that are journalist. I would recommend this book to anyone that would like to read a fun novel, one that has you feel a lot of different emotions as you’re reading. Any fan of history or Eleanor would really like this book I believe. 

This book talked about the events of Lorena Hickok referred to as Hick mostly in the novel, and Eleanor Roosevelt Hick in the novel and the real women was a journalist, and her assignment was to write about the first lady. Something fictional about this book, is the relationship between Hick and Eleanor as lovers I didn’t know this was fictional until the end of the novel when the author said it was, as the author does a great job of making you the reader think that this is what really happened. The book talks of the adventures of these two women both together and apart, and you learn about the women that they were. Historical events that happened during FDR’s presidency, and a bit about his private life are also discussed. This book I feel was a wonderful way to learn something about history, but it wasn’t as boring as reading a history book can be. 


8- Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs


Date reviewed- December 26h, 2016

Rating- 5 stars

More on this when we discuss this in the book club, but I really loved this book a lot, and I was skeptical of reading this. This book was original, and it was very imaginative like a book that I had never read before.


9-  Talking As Fast As I Can: From Gilmore Girls to Gilmore Girls and Everything In Between by Lauren Graham


Date reviewed- March 15th, 2017

Rating- 5 stars

This book was a delight to read. If you enjoy Lauren in any capacity, or Gilmore Girls read this book!!!! If you have not seen A Year In The Life as you're reading this, skip the last chapter because it contains spoilers from when they were filming the show. 


10- Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

Date reviewed- March 22, 2017  

Rating- 5 stars

I loved this story as it is a classic story. I feel that this is a timeless story, that people of all ages will love.

Comments

  1. Oh, I adore Ari and Dante. Such a great book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to reread for Pride month I think!

      Delete
  2. Ooh now I'm really curious about Paper Towns, since I've seen the movie but not read the original. And Allegiant I've never read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recommend reading it. I've seen both the movie and read the book. If I remember correctly I was in the middle of it when a friend texted me to see the movie one day.

      Delete
  3. I think it's wonderful that so many of your earliest reviews were of classics. Jane Eyre is one of my all-time favourite novels!

    My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane Eyre is definitely the book that changed my look at reading.

      Delete
  4. Lots of great ones for your first reviews. I love Little Women!

    www.tbrandbeyond.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! Amy might annoy me but I love all the rest of the characters so much.

      Delete
  5. Lydia Bennett got her own book! How cool is that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I love her and Lizzie's books! Here is the webseries that inspired the book https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRt5wuVdwkFYvZdp7Bglhew

      Delete
  6. I had some classics on my list of early reviews too. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

2019 Book Resolutions Tag!

Hey everyone! So Thursdays on the blog I am going to post a new tag. I think tags are so much fun, and I enjoy the time to reflect on what I’ve read in the past, or what I want to read. Images come from Goodreads. I grabbed the questions from  this blog 1. An author you’d like to read (that you’ve never read before). Leigh Bardugo! I have heard such great things about the Grisha verse, so I want to see if it lives up to all the hype. I have a feeling it will, and I am intrigued by the world. I got the first three books in the series as one large Ebook , so I ’m going to start that next month. I can’t wait to go on the journey and be immersed in a new series!  2. A book you’d like to read. Romanov by Nadine Brandes I love Anastasia and the Romanov family. This looks like such a fantastic retelling. I am drawn in just reading the blurb on Goodreads.  3. A classic you’d like to read. A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett. I’ve had the Barnes and Nobel edition of

January TBR!

Hey everyone, Steph here and Today I 'm going to post what I am going to start and maybe finish this month. I have four books on my TBR! The Cruel Prince by Holly Black Format: US Paperback Published: J anuary 2nd, 2018   Why I want to read: there was so much surrounding this book. I want to live if it lives up to the expectations, I am so excited to dive in. I love Fae so I feel this book is right up my alley. If I love this book, I will get the sequel as an Ebook. All I Know Now: Wonderings and Reflections on Growing Up Gracefully by Carrie Hope Fletcher  Format: US Paperback  Published: September 1st, 2015  Why I want to read it: so, I will be continuing this book. As an actress, I love supporting fellow stage actors when they write books. I love this book so far! What If It's Us by  Adam Silvera,  Becky Albertalli   Format: US Hardcover Published:  October 9th, 2018 Why I want to read it: I love Becky Albertalli! I'

Top Ten Tuesday- Favorite Books of the Year Part 1 (12-21)

    Hi! Jana hosts Top Ten Tuesday @ thatartsyreadergirl . The purpose of this meme was to bring the book blogging community together and foster our love of lists. Each week, Jana posts a topic, and we readers respond based on that prompt. This week our topic is a freebie, so I decided to make my list of my top ten reads part one.   Middle Grade 12- Never After by Melissa de la Cruz I'm almost done with this book. It's a duology, and I loved the new twist on fairy tales.    YA 13- Don’t Read the Comments by Eric Smith I read this early in the year and it stuck with me. This YA Contemporary about gaming and the culture of the gaming industry was fantastic.  14- The Book Thief by Markus Zusak It took me years to read this book but I really enjoyed it. I love the unique narrator, the characters, and the story.  15- The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas This is another backlist release. I loved this book, and I knew when I read it that it had the potential to be on this list. I still thi